Chainsaw Sprocket Redneck Weld Repair

Good Post Points
Welder
Old Generic Stick
Hi all, was invited here by TractorByNet website.

Have just resurrected an old inherited chainsaw. Came with a spare unused chain. The drive sprocket is badly worn and although a new or less worn sprocket can probably be sourced that could take weeks and I would like to use the saw now, of course :)

I would prefer not to put a perfect chain on a worn sprocket.

My question is has anybody ground out the thin wear grooves on a worn sprocket and successfully filled in with stick welding, then ground the teeth to shape ? ?

I know all the reasons why this is not a good idea, and why it would not work but has anyone done this successfully, even if it only worked for a few hours.

BTW, enjoying this fresh new website. Great not to have to sift through a gazillion previous threads to see if someone has asked a similar question.

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
My question is has anybody ground out the thin wear grooves on a worn sprocket and successfully filled in with stick welding, then ground the teeth to shape ? ?

I know all the reasons why this is not a good idea, and why it would not work but has anyone done this successfully, even if it only worked for a few hours.
I was kinda waiting to respond to this one to see if anyone had actually tried this. I work with chain saws for a living and do steel fabricating for a money saving (and occasional money making) "hobby". I really don't think it'll be worth it for you. What brand and model of saw is it?

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Can you flip the sprocket over? or is it part of the clutch hub? Stick on a chainsaw hub would be a bull in a china closet but I guess it could be done.

Good Post Points
Welder
Old Generic Stick
It's a McCulloch 46 cc ProMac 11, probly 25 years old, hasn't been running for over 10 years and before that was awful hard to start. I pulled it to bits and got it running again, it's a beast and guzzles fuel. I have 4 other smaller saws but needed something bigger as a large tree came down on our property.

The sprocket is integral with the clutch hub and as I said a new one could have been found I'm sure but would cost more than the saw is worth.

Anyway, have dealt with the tree now, have lots of firewood;-)

I will report back if I do end up trying to resurrect the sprocket.

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
The sprocket is integral with the clutch hub and as I said a new one could have been found I'm sure but would cost more than the saw is worth.
You should definitely check into that before fighting with it. Lots of sprockets for old McCulloch saws on Ebay.