Drill Presses

Good Post Points
About 90% of what I need to do can be done with a 70 year old Duro 1/2 press with a slow speed pulley giving 300 rpm.

For heavy work I use a mag drill mounted over my cutting table.

duro1.jpgflail7.jpg

• Good Post
Reactions: DAC

poncho62

Good Post Points
Nice....I need a better drill press, just have one of those cheapo Harbor Freight type ones, extremely under-powered.

• Good Post

flyerdan

Good Post Points
I've got a HF T-583 drill press, it's been good to me. Bought it new in '96, it was $250 so nearly top of the line for a 16 speed floor model. If you can find an older one on craigslist, that would be a good option.

• Good Post

sonny580

Good Post Points
Mine is some off brand that I bought from one of them traveling scalpers!---- its a floor type 16 speed and 1 hp motor that can run on either 110 or 220. --- it has plenty of power for heavy drilling.

• Good Post

flyerdan

Good Post Points
It sounds like we have the same model, does yours have a round table that rotates, as well as tilts?

• Good Post

sonny580

Good Post Points
YUP!!! round, rotates and tilts, goes up and down with hand crank on back after you loosen the lock handle.I bought this one back in the early 70's or so.

• Good Post

flyerdan

Good Post Points
And I think the table center hole is a MT3 so you can use a live center and turn armatures to clean up the commutators on starters, alternators, etc. I'd have to double check, but I think its a 3

StuckRod

Good Post Points
A lot of fabrication work is drilling, so it really makes sense to have a drill press in the shop. I have got everything from a battery powered screw gun, to a 1907 Canedy-Otto post drill press.

• Good Post

Lis2323

Good Post Points
And I think the table center hole is a MT3 so you can use a live center and turn armatures to clean up the commutators on starters, alternators, etc. I'd have to double check, but I think its a 3

I’ve never seen (or noticed) one like that! That would be so handy!

• Good Post

flyerdan

Good Post Points
I just went out and pulled the vise to check - there isn't a center hole at all in the table. I must have been thinking of another, maybe one of the Jets we had at work.
I turn motors in the lathe now, but before I had it I'd use a ball bearing cradled in a nut for a center on the drill press. It was adequate for a bit of hand burnishing.

• Good Post

StuckRod

Good Post Points
I just pulled a starter off my Perkins Engine that had sat for 32 years. The starter looked good on the outside, but when I pulled it apart it looked like Mars...the red planet! It was nothing but rust! Undeterred, I pulled it all apart, and spent four hours cleaning it up...

Then, as I was sliding the housing back on, it hung up on a brush, and that 42 year old bakealite holding the brush, snapped. All that work, and I still had to take it to the repair shop. In the end I found I could buy a new starter cheaper than I could rebuild it, so I did that, but it would have saved me four hours worth of work!

DAC

Good Post Points
I had a HF for a long time too--well still do but a couple of years ago my wife's cousin was having a rummage sale. They were moving and getting rid of almost everything. I bought a bunch of small tools and some lumber. Was paying for that and they said do you need a drill press? Long story short they had this 1978 "Duracraft" in a back room of the garage. It was loaded into the pickup before anything else! It's an old import too, but seems like a pretty good quality tool. I just bought a belt, cleaned it up a bit and lubed it. I still have a hard time realizing that after all these years I finally have a better one! On Easter Sunday I even used it as a kind of a vertical lathe to make a couple bushings for one of my garden tractors!

drill press2.JPGDSCN2073.JPGIMG_0226.JPG

DAC

sonny580

Good Post Points
Spindle speeds on mine range from 170 in low to 3,600 in 16'th gear. --- I only use the first gear 170 for all of my drilling,--bits stay cooler and less breakage. I think it's a Central machinery brand,--probably the same thing HF sells now. I bought 5 items from this guy back in the early 70's. --he was from South Carolina and heading home,--wanted to get rid of the last 5 pieces so he made me a good offer for the group and I just did have enough cash to pay for the lot. ---A one time deal and gotta happen now! LOL never ran into that kind of deal ever again.

bigb

Good Post Points
g_man that's a nice old press. I put a speed reducer on my 1964 Delta-Rockwell and my lowest speed is now right around 100 RPM. The machine is a beast and I love it, good old American iron. I recently put a used Albrecht Keyless chuck on her and it's a world of difference when changing bits multiple times during a project. I couldn't bring myself to cutting a hole in the side of my belt guard so yesterday I went to making a guard since I got lot's of spare time right now with the stay home orders, plus with no barbers open my hair is getting long so I figured it's time for a guard! I have 3 drill presses in all and I will get some pics of them to post on this thread soon.

Attachments

• 20200420_180630.jpg
    20200420_180630.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20200420_180638.jpg
    20200420_180638.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20200422_143418.jpg
    20200422_143418.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • Good Post

bigb

Good Post Points
I also rigged up a counterweight system to make raising and lowering the table easier

Attachments

• 20200307_175532.jpg
    20200307_175532.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • under.jpg
    under.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • Good Post