Flap wheel and cutoff disc manufacturers

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Does this sight have any quality flap wheel disc , cut off wheel, grinder disc, etc sponsorship? it would be a nice addition to much needed accessorys

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Oh, flap disks, now that's the 'cat's meow' for prepping welds on most work. Also great for cleanup.

California

Good Post Points
Here's a Youtube comparison of flap discs.

He ranked HF's discs last. But when they are on sale at $1 each I buy several. A flap disc on a cordless angle grinder is very handy when welding.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
The HF ones do fly apart pretty easily. I’ve bought a few different brands on line ( usually 20-50 packs) and you can get them for a better price. Also when you purchase cut off wheels in bulk, usually packs of 10 you get a pretty good price.

California

Good Post Points
The HF ones do fly apart pretty easily.
I think the reason I haven't seen one fly apart is because the Ryobi cordless angle grinder is rated 6500 rpm max, about half the speed of a 'real' angle grinder. It works great.
'Good enough for the girls I go with!', to quote an old Carpenter buddy. The convenience of cordless is great.

I wouldn't buy HF abrasives for a production shop, I would go back to that vid and try a couple of brands that he rated highly. But these HF ones work fine for my occasional farm repairs and minor fabrication. It would take me forever to go through a 20~50 bulk pack.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I have ordered from Roark supply, and they are better quality than inexpensive Chinese flaps and cut off wheels. Flaps from $1.39 each off wheels from $0.59 cents each.5EFBB0FE-329B-48E8-BAD7-2F0A0FA97A8D.png

• Good Post
Reactions: SIO

Waynebob126

Good Post Points
I am really liking the Benchmark Abrasive flap discs. Hands down better quality than the Chinese product that I had been using

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Just got another box full of the German made flap wheels and cut off wheels from the supply house, great price, and much better than cheap china made

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
I am really liking the Benchmark Abrasive flap discs. Hands down better quality than the Chinese product that I had been using
:unsure:Umm... the Benchmark Abrasives discs are Chinese made.

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
I have ordered from Roark supply, and they are better quality than inexpensive Chinese flaps and cut off wheels. Flaps from $1.39 each off wheels from $0.59 cents each.
Thanks for this. Hadn't heard of this place before. Good prices on non Chinese products. My order is on it's way. (y)

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Just built a couple old steel wheels by adding 2” angle iron cleats to the wheels.they will be yard art, along side the gate to the log yard. It only took one of the new flap wheels to prep the surface to weld, and clean up and smooth the edges, corners and welds before priming and painting. Wore it out totally, but it didn’t fly apart like the cheap ones do.22253C55-78E1-47B0-8579-DF40B30C9AC3.jpegF9EEFEF4-FBC5-4D8D-ACDF-C79F2C240C13.jpeg

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have been using the Dewalt 1/8 and 1/4" grinding disc and the 1/8" wears down really fast. Cant complain, they were free from a friend of mine. I do find that the HF cutoff wheels work much better and last much longer on my Dewalt 11,000 rpm grinder than on the HF grinders that only turn 6500 RPM. The HF grinder tends to create chatter that wears the wheels out fast and that doesnt happen with the Dewalt high speed grinder.

dstig1

Good Post Points
If you've never tried a 3M Cubitron II abrasive on metal, you really owe it to yourself to do so. I have never seen anything eat metal like these. I've got a friend who works in that group at 3M so i get an occasional sample from him. They are amazing

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
If you've never tried a 3M Cubitron II abrasive on metal, you really owe it to yourself to do so. I have never seen anything eat metal like these. I've got a friend who works in that group at 3M so i get an occasional sample from him. They are amazing
They should be good, I just checked the price!!! $15.74 each.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
Wow, I’m sure there a really good product, but 10X the cost is a little hard to choke down, unless that’s all you do all day, and can show an improved savings. I guess if they last 12x as long and you use many a week there worth the cost difference.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I watched guy with Project Farm demo several types of flap disc and many of the higher priced ones like DeWalt and Norton actually did no better than the HF ones. The high dollar one lost just as much abrasive as the cheaper ones and didnt remove any more (sometimes less) metal.
It would be hard for me to believe that one flap disc could last as long as 12 of the cheap HF and then the ROARK site has them super cheap.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Here's a Youtube comparison of flap discs.

He ranked HF's discs last. But when they are on sale at $1 each I buy several. A flap disc on a cordless angle grinder is very handy when welding.

Yes, for what they are for $1, you bet I'm buying them.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
At $1.39 for flaps and $0.59 for cut off wheels, Roark supply has a great price and I would say between using them and the HF flaps and cutoffs, HF definitely lacks in performance.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I got some 7" cutoff wheels from HF and I have to say they are great. I used one up to just under the 4.5" size before it was getting a bit short for the 7" grinder but now it is just right for the 4.5" grinder to take it on down. I got a lot of cuts with it and it didnt chatter and break up like the small disc on the HF 4.5" grinders. I think it was 4 for around 8$ if I recall and the 7" cuts much faster than the smaller disc and you can cut thru larger material.