Groomer skid pan

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
As soon as the new piece comes I am gonna torch this worn out skid pan off. I need to find some pics of one I reman a couple years ago and paint all up like the color of one of those stickley green apples

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
I haven't looked for a used one but I wanna make this from the 12 inch it is to 18. Need someone with a mind greater than my own to make a pattern, I could use scraps. I was gonna use some cardboard, make a common pattern and piece it. Even thought to use tabs and bolt on. It's not going to see violent use.20210812_085914.jpg

Last edited:

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Called 'flighting', complicated to make.
I'd simply weld a bunch of 3 inch strips to cover as much area as possible.
If U have some gaps it should not deter the basic operation of excavating the hole.
Just my 2 cents. (in Canada that would be nickel as we no longer have pennies)

California

Good Post Points
Called 'flighting', complicated to make.
I'd simply weld a bunch of 3 inch strips to cover as much area as possible.
If U have some gaps it should not deter the basic operation of excavating the hole.
I was going to suggest something similar but having no relevant experience, I don't know if this will work. FWIW:

Leave the lower few inches of the flutes and the cutters alone. Let them continue to dig the main part of the bore hole. Then a few inches up where there will be loose fluffy dirt, weld old lawnmower blades across, at an angle where you can weld the new blades to the flutes on each side. (And extending 3 inches beyond the existing flutes, on each side). Crude and ugly but this might be sufficient for limited use, making holes for your pole barn or something. And far cheaper than buying the larger auger for a one-time project.

A lawnmower shop might have a couple of free used 18" lawnmower blades for you.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
It's not true so to speak because the gage is wrong. I the spiral will be too tight, should have a 9 inch flight.

dee_veloper

Good Post Points
Welder
Longevity
I haven't looked for a used one but I wanna make this from the 12 inch it is to 18.

I would just go look for a used 18" auger. Trying to convert that old one is going to be "iffy" at best. By increasing the diameter of the blades, you will likely need to increase the diameter of the shaft to handle the increased torque forces.

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
You might try the equipment rental yards. Here a year ago ,I needed a two foot bit for my auger. The local equipment rental had one . I rented it for a day, worked great and was twenty five dollars a day to rent. Just need to pick it up and return it.

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller, Lincoln and Hobart
I agree with dee_veloper. But, what ever mod you make be sure to remember, the original "Shear Bolts" may not suffice. If you go to a larger dia. of those, it'll transfer the torque/stress upward to the universal. Just my thoughts . . .

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller, Lincoln and Hobart
For "kicks and giggles"! Check Craigslist in yours and the surrounding areas for one. The attachments are from Craigslist showing one in Vienna I..