Hitch additions

California

Good Post Points
dstig1 your table is gorgeous!

I don't have any amazing welding projects this year (well, ever) so I'll post some prior projects.

This photo that I edited for my avatar was taken in 2006. Adding this hitch to my box blade was the first project with the Old School, Montgomery Wards, mid 1960's, 230 amp AC stick welder. (Specs same as an AC Tombstone). It was $50 at a neighborhood estate sale. I couldn't pass it up. I always wanted a welder. They told me Gramps played with it the first year then it sat in the garage for 40 years.

Blew the cowbwebs out, oiled the fan, good as new! There's really nothing inside it beyond a 100 lb transformer with a slug that slides in/out to vary the current.

This hitch ball is on an L-shaped piece of iron that extends upward as far as it extends out, There's plenty of 'meat' to weld to.

My wife said 'Pose!' - so here it is.

P1040575rWeldHitchBoxBladeAvatar.jpg

And another project soon after getting the welder. The blue rear forks assembly was cobbled up from some scrap on hand. In this photo I brought the back blade up to the shop to see if I could adapt it for quick hitch. But no, impossible, there's massive interference before the qhitch reaches its pins. Maybe some day I'll add a front foot to it like what's on a trailer tongue, to make it easier to hitch up. I use the blue forks a lot. Example. (<-- linked photo).

635377d1578109899-koyker-140-loader-ym2610-maybe-20190625_104217rrearforks-blue-jpg

A couple of years ago I added a hitch ball on the little tractor's bucket. This was with a Century 130 dc Mig welder (flux for this project). That was an excellent 110 v welder. But I sold it after I got a banging deal on two modern 240v welders.
(This hitch isn't for highway use, it's for going backward slowly, and for parking the 4x8 trailer in its tight barn stall).
511565d1496557557-share-pics-people-hauling-towing-kimg2005rhitchonym186dbucket-jpg

Recent: my first practical project with the new (to me) Grizzly stick/tig welder, using stick.
I added a first step to get up on the little tractor with less twisting of my spine. (That tiny floorboard isn't big enough for two feet at once).
619354d1567377886-added-step-get-tractor-easier-ym186dstep20190830_161102-jpg

Minor farm fabrication like these projects and occasional repairs, are what I use welders for. Pro welder, no, but everything I've welded has stayed welded. A welder is essential for a farm.

Last edited: