Lincoln Tomahawk 375 Plasma cutter

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
You're not running the Plas on 230v?
No, don't have an available outlet for it in either my garage or barn where I usually plug into. In order to have one, I would have to change out the panels in either the barn or the garage,
or install an outlet on the pole and run an extension cord. Both are doable, just not really needed, as I don't work with much more than .250 material, and the 210MVP has no issue
with that material on a 20 amp 115vlt circuit.

Going with a 30 amp circuit is the cheapest and quickest route at the moment, have enough 10AWG to run for the plug. Though looking at the panel in the garage, could probably combine the garage doors and lights onto one circuit, which would free up the ability to run a 220 circuit off the current panel. t

Suppose another option would be to just run two 20 amp circuits together into one 220 outlet using extension cords, seems a bit hokey, but in reality it is the same thing.

Rereading the manual, it states it should be able to run 27 amps on a 20 amp circuit, maybe the breaker is on the way out, might swap in a new one and see what it does,
probably should check the wire used for the garage as well, might be 14/2 and not 12/2.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Is that just a 120volt machine. Will it not run on 220? My Everlast 206 runs on both. It will only go to 25 amps on 120 (self limiting) and the cut shows it. I am thinking that it and yours likely senses the voltage not the available amps at the breaker. I am curious to see if you can get 50 amps from a 120v circuit.
It is a 110/220, that has two adapters, one converts the plug to 20amp plug, and an additional plugs into that one that converts it down to a 15 amp.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Wow lots of adapters needed. Mine came with one, 3 prong flat 220 v to 2 prong flat with ground pin for 110v. Is your 20 amp plug a twist lock. I didnt know there was a difference in 15 and 20 amp plugs. 30 amp is different like campers use.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Yes, seems like they were a bit of an after thought, the one from 220 to 120 is an actual cord about 2' long, the one from 120 to 110, just slips on the end like a 3 prong to 2 110 adapter does. With my Hobart MVP, you just screw on whatever end you need to power cord.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Wow lots of adapters needed. Mine came with one, 3 prong flat 220 v to 2 prong flat with ground pin for 110v. Is your 20 amp plug a twist lock. I didnt know there was a difference in 15 and 20 amp plugs. 30 amp is different like campers use.
For the plasma cutter the adapters all plug into each other,, have to use both adapters to run 110, or just the one for 120.

I didnt know there was a difference in 15 and 20 amp plugs.
This is the difference between the plugs.
15ampv20amp.jpg

30 amp is different like campers use.
That is what I was originally thinking about going with for an outlet, and then just convert my cart's extension cord to to plug into it. Discussed my plans and issue with am electrician, one of the online ones you pay for, and with the tech info from both the plasma and welder, the 50 amp 125/220 volt outlet with a 30 amp breaker is what he suggested. Of course as it would happen, Home Depot didn't have any of the outlets needed, only had 4 prong 125/220 volt outlets. Not sure how knowledgeable the guy running the electric department today is, but he was adamant that there is no such thing as a 3 prong 125/220 volt outlet, configured f like the straight 220 one, even though I showed him it listed on the stores website. Will try to get by one of the electrical supply companies next week and see what they have.
Unfortunately, the panel in the garage was ran as a 110, not 220, so no way to run a 220 outlet off of it w/o running new wire. According to the manual, it states I should be able to get 27 amps out of the 20 amp circuit, so I went ahead and picked up some new 20 amp breakers, the ones being used are 20-30yrs old.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Just bite the bullet and run a 220 volt 50 amp circuit and you can then run anything you want off of it. Use a double pole breaker and you only need 2 slots for the breaker.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Just bite the bullet and run a 220 volt 50 amp circuit and you can then run anything you want off of it. Use a double pole breaker and you only need 2 slots for the breaker.
Not really needed now, with a new 20 amp breaker, it had no issue cutting 2" of 1/2" steel plate.

Due to the garage being ran as just a 110 system, I can't combine two circuits, and I don't think I can get a fish tape through the line and pull another wire through it. Trenching and running a new line is a bit of a waste of money, I will be building a new shop next spring, and starting with its own panel, so there will be no issue running as many 220 outlets as I need. In the mean time, If i need to 220, I will run it off my generator.