Noob needs help

paddler1000

Good Post Points
Welder
miller mig
Hey guys, I'm trying to weld a 3/8" thick thumb pin bracket to a mini-excavator boom arm and need help. I'm using .030 flux core wire and have my Miller 210 set on 5 with a wire feed of 65 per the machines labels. Getting very splotchy weld and need advice. Obviously I have limited experience, just trying to learn to do it right. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 2022-12-08 15.16.23.jpg
    2022-12-08 15.16.23.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 2022-12-08 15.17.45.jpg
    2022-12-08 15.17.45.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 2022-12-08 15.09.37.jpg
    2022-12-08 15.09.37.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 97

Huntingky

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller MIG and Tombstone stick
I am no real welder but I would crank the voltage up on that, and if you have a torch, maybe pre-heat that area of the boom arm. Lot of steel there and you need all the heat you can get. Don't be afraid to max it out.
As mentioned by bbcm, if you have access to a stick, it might be the better solution.

lancem

Good Post Points
Welder
Amico MIG-140GS, Hobart 140, Miller 225
Agree with the above, I'd run the machine wide open, and heavier wire if you have it. Get a good puddle going and slowly drag it along, you are going to need a lot of heat.

cavdweller

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 255
It looks to me that you need much better prep...there is a lot of rust and loose paint there. Flux core handles dirt fairly well but not THAT well. Also looks like you need more heat and maybe check your ground.

AK Marty

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SA200
Be sure you are running electrode negative when using flux core wire. Also you need to grind out what you have tried to weld in there and prepare the joint area much better, smooth up those torched off plates and lose all the old paint. You may need to use the next higher voltage setting on your welder. Good luck and keep practicing.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
You also need bigger wire. You will over volt the 030 before you reach the bead shape and penetration needed. So electrode negative, ground positive and 035 wire at least. Pre-heat can be your friend as well.

paddler1000

Good Post Points
Welder
miller mig
I am no real welder but I would crank the voltage up on that, and if you have a torch, maybe pre-heat that area of the boom arm. Lot of steel there and you need all the heat you can get. Don't be afraid to max it out.
As mentioned by bbcm, if you have access to a stick, it might be the better solution.
You and the previous raise a good question for me. I'm sure each has it's place but when is stick better than mig and vice versa?

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Wire speed is definitely too high, not only does metal thickness and heat setting determines wire speed, but so does the welder's hand speed, when you attempt to reweld, drop it down to around 30, might practice a little on some same sized scrap before rewelding the bracket back on.

Also make sure your ground has clean steel contact.

Are you using 120vlt or 240vlt, welding that thick with 120vlt takes a lot more prep and practice.

Huntingky

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller MIG and Tombstone stick
You and the previous raise a good question for me. I'm sure each has it's place but when is stick better than mig and vice versa?
There are a couple times I use stick over a MIG.
Unless you are using one of the cheap buzz box stick welders, they will usually crank out a lot more heat than a wire welder. Not only does that give you the heat you need on heavy metal but allows you to use thicker, heavier electrodes.
The electrode selection is another advantage. Instead of the pain of changing out wire, you can grab a heavier (or lighter) electrode, or more appropriate one to the metal you are welding. Do a little googling and you will find recommendations for clean metal, rusty metal, iron, high nickel, stainless, etc.
Also, on my farm equipment, not only is it usually heavier metal but it is usually outside. Outside means wind which can disperse your shielding gas resulting in poor welds. If I am welding thin metal and want to use MIG and can't get it indoors, I will try and shield my work area from the wind, BUT still keep good ventilation...sometimes at odds with itself. Ultimately I can switch from solid wire to rosin core and skip the gas but that is a pain.

Harp 031

Good Post Points
Welder
3 millers, 5 Lincoln, liquid air, victor,. stick, tig ,wire.
For the choice between stick and wire first up is what size machine do you have and is is able to do the job
Stick is more easily flexible for job size and material, while wire solid or flux core will be easier to weld with and sometimes with the proper setting give you a better weld on some materials. Given a choice wire machine needs to be 220 volt input to give enough heat to weld without a fight. Most 120 volt machines are too light for most welding and should be used for sheet metal etc. Solid wire needs gas and is easier to watch the puddle. Flux core in the small machines lacks power to really preform good[ugly welds] while in larger ones can do an excellent job. There are many different types of wire and like stick different jobs for them.