Settings for Chicago Electric

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
I have a Chicago Electric 125 amp AC flux core machine I picked up from Harbor Freight. I have to weld up some 1/16 inch square tubing. I'm putting together a basic rectangle with right angles. I did not miter the corners, just butting them up. The final project will actually look more like an "H". Meaning, I'm not near the end on one side of the work. I thought leaving myself 2 fillets rather than dealing with two edges on the same weld would be wiser. I'm looking for advice for a starting point on wire dimension, power setting, and wire speed. I've been struggling. I have 30 and 35 wire. The welder has a dial wire feed knob that goes to 10. There are only two options for amperage, high or low. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular welder on this type of material. I am a novice.

Thank you

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
While not having experience with the HF machine, based on what you have, you will want to use .030 wire, low setting, likely start on speed 5, and adjust the speed up/down from there.

To keep from burning through the tube, start your butt weld on the on the solid side of the tube and bring it to the open end section of the tube, also, with as thin of steel you are using, you will want to stitch weld it, as trying to do a continuous weld, will generate too much heat and you will burn through the material.

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
I appreciate it. Thank you.

California

Good Post Points
I had HF's previous version of that AC flux welder for several years. Let's just say there's a narrow range of projects it's suitable for. In particular, hi/low as the only voltage choices doesn't match what some projects need.

I strongly recommend practice on similar material and with various adjustments until your welds look good, before going to weld the actual project. You may find that the unit just doesn't have any setting that is suitable for what you need.

Here's an old thread on those. Our host here started with one, then upgraded to HF's $200 Titanium DC version to finish his project.

California

Good Post Points
Here's a successful project I did with the HF 90A AC flux welder a few years ago. I had bent the flimsy tongue of a little 4x4 HF trailer that is grossly abused carrying 2500 lbs of water over rough ground in my orchard. Here's a photo of it in use, that I just posted in the 'what are you doing today' thread.
kimg0712rwateronslope-jpg.1586

The HF AC welder did a decent job scabbing old bedframe angle iron onto the HF trailer's tongue. I've used the trailer for several years now after the repair, without problems. But I've since moved on to better welders capable of a broader range of projects.
p1670281rweldwateringtrailertongue-jpg.1195

Last edited:

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
I had HF's previous version of that AC flux welder for several years. Let's just say there's a narrow range of projects it's suitable for. In particular, hi/low as the only voltage choices doesn't match what some projects need.

I strongly recommend practice on similar material and with various adjustments until your welds look good, before going to weld the actual project. You may find that the unit just doesn't have any setting that is suitable for what you need.

Here's an old thread on those. Our host here started with one, then upgraded to HF's $200 Titanium DC version to finish his project.

I purchased it because it was on sale for $89 and like a teenage girl, I couldn't resist a sale. But I've noticed what you're talking about. It's almost impossible for a novice welder like me to dial it in. I have a decent stick welder but am still learning that as well. I'm getting the impression that all though the HF welder may be considered a beginner machine, it may not be of any use to me until I actually know what I'm doing. I'll likely look for a mig in the 400-600 range and keep practicing with the stick for thicker material. Thank you for the advice, as well as the link.

California

Good Post Points
Good luck in your search for a better welder. If you want to stay inexpensive for hobby use and just tinkering, there are Youtube reviews and reviews on Amazon, of really cheap DC wire welders that have inverters (much lighter than a transformer) and seem to work ok. I would definitely buy from Amazon with their decent return policy, and pay extra for the longest extended warranty they offer. If you're lucky it will last beyond the warranty period. :p

While HF markets this AC flux welder to beginners, it really isn't a good match. Only a pro would understand its limitations and how to work around them.

Last time I looked at HF's welding wire display, their flux wire is labelled FOR DC ONLY. They don't sell any wire claimed compatible with that welder. I don't think anyone does. You're starting out with three strikes against you.

I've posted here jokingly but I think it may be true: I think the reason that welder exists is because a ton of those are used in China to assemble the poorly-welded furniture etc you see at Target, Walmart, etc. I don't think its suitable for much else.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I used to have one of those ac flux 125 welders. I couldn't get the wire feed up much beyond 3 on on the wire feed setting on either low or high selection. Mine ran best between 2 and 3. I had good luck running hobart E71T-11 wire with it. They are pretty low on power, but they will weld. AC flux core is a slow process. Proper material fitment and beveled edges help a lot getting any penetration. Mine would barely weld 1/8". Just didn't get hot enough. That being said, there's a lot you can build with it. It gave me a start in welding. Practice, practice, practice.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I purchased it because it was on sale for $89 and like a teenage girl, I couldn't resist a sale. But I've noticed what you're talking about. It's almost impossible for a novice welder like me to dial it in. I have a decent stick welder but am still learning that as well. I'm getting the impression that all though the HF welder may be considered a beginner machine, it may not be of any use to me until I actually know what I'm doing. I'll likely look for a mig in the 400-600 range and keep practicing with the stick for thicker material. Thank you for the advice, as well as the link.
If $4-600 is your price range I wouldn't waste your money or time with any of the Chinese welders, you can get a the Hobart 100 Handler(flux only) or the Handler 125(MIG/flux), for between $3-400, and currently the 100 is on sale at cyberweld.com for $239. While I can't comment on the current quality of the 100/125, the 125 I have is now 17yrs old with likely 150-200lbs of wire ran through it, and other than having to replace the fan motor about 5yrs ago, it hasn't skipped a beat. With it, I have welded up to 1/4" plate by beveling both edges, though for anything that would be under high stress, I limited it to 3/16, and most of what I welded with it was 1/8".

Lefty

Top Poster Of Month
Good Post Points
Welder
Stick, Wire
Super helpful info from everyone. Thank you. Does anyone have an opinion regarding Everlast Cyclone 140E? Sorry for the segway. I have an Everlast 200amp stick welder that seems to run well. It does lift Tig, although I've never tried it...or Tig welded at all for that matter.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Super helpful info from everyone. Thank you. Does anyone have an opinion regarding Everlast Cyclone 140E? Sorry for the segway. I have an Everlast 200amp stick welder that seems to run well. It does lift Tig, although I've never tried it...or Tig welded at all for that matter.
As far as I can tell, with them and other low priced units, it is a hit and miss as to what you get in both ability and longevity due to the quality of electronics used at the time the unit you get was being assembled. You might get lucky and have no issue with it, like you have experienced with your stick welder, then again you might have to return it a few times before you get one that works.

You might send a Gary Fowler pm, and pick his brain, he bought one of their multi machines last summer, and had to deal with their customer service when the machine went down a month out of the box.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I didnt have good luck with the first Everlast multi process machine. The board went out after about 5 minutes of welding, cost me shipping charges to get it back to them and then they wanted to charge me to return it also. After much arguing the dropped that fee but when I got it back, it was still broke. I had to send it back again (prepaid shipping on the next go round). They fixed it that time after much phone discussion with the tech on what it was doing. I havent used it much since I got it back. I bought a HF Vulcan Omni-Pro 220 and that is what stays by my fab table. I have not had any problems with it at all but it is way above your stated price range ($999 and it never goes on sale, at least I havent seen it). I also bought the spool gun with it ($200) to weld aluminum and it works good also.

I first bought the Titanium 125 flux machine and it welded awesome. I ran maybe 10# of wire thru it with no problem and then it just quit working between passes. I am thinking of getting another one since it is a throw away at the price of purchase, it would cost more to fix than buy a new one. It is a handy little 10# machine that I used on 150# of heavy duty extension cord to weld on my fence and it worked great. I used multiple passes to weld up 1/2" plate with it with no problem.
For the price, I would recommend it even though mine quit on me after a couple of months (get the extended warranty and it will be ok.)

California

Good Post Points
I first bought the Titanium 125 flux machine and it welded awesome. I ran maybe 10# of wire thru it with no problem and then it just quit working between passes. I am thinking of getting another one since it is a throw away at the price of purchase, it would cost more to fix than buy a new one. It is a handy little 10# machine that I used on 150# of heavy duty extension cord to weld on my fence and it worked great. I used multiple passes to weld up 1/2" plate with it with no problem.
For the price, I would recommend it even though mine quit on me after a couple of months (get the extended warranty and it will be ok.)
I've never tried it, but some credit cards include a year of extended warranty on major purchases after the OEM warranty expires. Has anyone tried this for a welder?

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I've never tried it, but some credit cards include a year of extended warranty on major purchases after the OEM warranty expires. Has anyone tried this for a welder?
The extended warranty wont be much at HF for a $200 machine.