TIG welder - Information on a Linde DAL300HFGW

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder
Horbart TR300, Marquette MIG, Union Carbide Linde DAL300HFGW
Hi,

I recently purchased a old Linde DAL300HFGW welder so I can learn to TIG weld my aluminium irrigation pipe on the farm. The unit is similar to the old P&H welders from the sixties. This unit was made under licence in Toronto for Linde. It was used in a fabrication shop for TIG welding by the previous owner. His wife sold it to me after her husband tragically passed away.

I have never TIG welded before, I have to learn how to turn the unit on and set it up. No documentation was provided with purchase so if anybody has any manuals or circuit diagrams for this model to refer to, I plan to remove the cover and go through it before wiring it in and testing it, I do have a 125amp breaker for my Horbart TR300 that I can swap over. Any background on the unit and how to set it up will be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Terry

Last edited:

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Your breaker should be sized to the smallest wire in the circuit. Check the wire sizes and use a breaker that will trip before the wiring overloads. These old welders have either a button to push or a switch (like a light switch but heavier) to throw. I seem to recall that some of the very old machines didnt have a circuit switch on the machine and you had to put a disconnect box at the machine to turn it on and off.

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder
Your breaker should be sized to the smallest wire in the circuit. Check the wire sizes and use a breaker that will trip before the wiring overloads. These old welders have either a button to push or a switch (like a light switch but heavier) to throw. I seem to recall that some of the very old machines didnt have a circuit switch on the machine and you had to put a disconnect box at the machine to turn it on and off.

Thanks Gary for that info.

By any chance do you know what the S.I.G.M.A control socket is for on my unit. I do not have a manual or a complete wiring diagram. This Linde unit does not have the phase shift or intensity switches I see on other P&H and Linde units. The good news is that the unit does operate both as a stick welding unit and as a TIG unit. The TIG welding I am new too, so the initial test runs on Aluminium were crude. Any info on this unit is welcome.

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder
The SIGMA control socket is next to the foot pedal plugins.

Attachments

• 0F4B3768-CC8E-4F79-B0E6-299337DD7F49.jpeg
    0F4B3768-CC8E-4F79-B0E6-299337DD7F49.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 7

Rusty

Good Post Points
Welder

By any chance do you know what the S.I.G.M.A control socket is for on my unit. I do not have a manual or a complete wiring diagram. This Linde unit does not have the phase shift or intensity switches I see on other P&H and Linde units. The good news is that the unit does operate both as a stick welding unit and as a TIG unit. The TIG welding I am new too, so the initial test runs on Aluminium were crude. Any info on this unit is welcome.
I assume Shielded inert gas metal arc and that a separate wire feeder can be used with this unit to MIG weld?

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points

Sorry , I dont know anything about that unit.