Cold cut saw?

Col.

Good Post Points
Welder
Bobcat
I am considering the Evolution 14"
Anyone have experience with them or have a brand that you like and would recommend?

I have.one and use it almost every day. I would never go back to a grinder wheel. All cuts are like butter and cool to touch .

JCA

Good Post Points
This saw is amazing. I went through 2 Dewalt abrasive saw before getting the evolution 14" dry cut. Truly amazing. It does throw a bunch of metal "chips" and is noisy. Minor considering that this saw almost makes cutting metal like cutting wood on a poer miter box. Way better that an abrasive type saw, no comparison. It still amazes me every time I use it. I highly recommend this saw.

sparkye

Good Post Points
Welder
A dozen
Anyone have experience with them or have a brand that you like and would recommend?
I own one and I like it. Cuts faster and more accurate than any abrasive saw. Plus there are only minimum sparks. I have cut everything from 1/4 inch to 1/2 thick angle iron and 1 inch by 3 inch hot rolled steel. It walks right through them. Longevity seems good still on my first blade and I cut a lot of steel. It's accurate but needs to be set up for accuracy which isn't hard, but takes time.. I also bought the stand for it. Be warned there are a lot of shavings. It collects most, but they do scatter. They do stay in the immediate area so sweeping up isn't bad.

Hammerbilt

Good Post Points
Welder
Esab Rebel 205ic AC/DC
I have had a an Evolution “dry cut” saw for at least 10 years. Amazing. Effortless cuts. I wish mine had a bit more adjustment range so I could cut from either side but it has been great. It is super loud and does throw sparks but compared to an abrasive: virtually no heat, blades last a long time, minimal mess. Compared to cold saw: PRICE, mess

Hammerbilt

Good Post Points
Welder
Esab Rebel 205ic AC/DC
I have had a an Evolution “dry cut” saw for at least 10 years. Amazing. Effortless cuts. I wish mine had a bit more adjustment range so I could cut from either side but it has been great. It is super loud and does throw sparks but compared to an abrasive: virtually no heat, blades last a long time, minimal mess. Compared to wet saw: PRICE, mess

Donnygoat

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 190
I've owned both the 14 inch chop and 9 inch push Evolution saws a couple years. I prefer both over the grinders when the task allows.

Teachu2

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Bobcat 250, Miller MM210, Lincoln 185 Mig, Lincoln 225 AC/DC tombstone, old Miller shop welder, three O/A sets
I have the Makita, for over 20 years now. Exceptional quality, superb cuts. It's slightly smaller at 12", but holds alignment very well. Blades last a long time, still running on it's second blade.

gene55

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart and Lincoln
I've been using the ironton 14" dry-cut metal saw from Northern Tool for a couple of years now and really like it. They list for $399 but if you sign up to be an Advantage Member it drops to $279 and free shipping. I had to replace one blade so far as I found out that used oilwell casing pipe is a bit rough to cut due to the grit, etc in the pipe. The best part of using it verses abrasive is accuracy of the cut, there is no wandering like can sometimes happen with the abrasive disc. I still do use the abrasive saw but mostly for rough materials like the oil pipe.

MLPeep

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 210
It works. I’m a farm welder and I’ve done a number of projects with mine - square and angle cuts, and up to 1/2 x 3” bar. The clamp isn’t the best, but the price is close to that of an abrasive cutoff saw which IMHO is a miserable piece of equipment.

I’d get another of the same, but my Evolution hasn’t given me any signs of giving up yet.

dave_dj1

Good Post Points
I ended up buying the 14" Evolution saw, absolutely love it!
I have cut a lot of rectangular tube along with a bunch of 1/4 x 2 flat bar and schedule 80 pipe.
I bought a spare blade but haven't needed it yet.

Prairie Dog

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln,Miller,Fronius
Three months ago I bought the Ridgid 614 Dry Cut Saw. I own a cold cut three phase saw and do not have a phase converter at this time.
I looked at all of the other saws out there and decided that I have other Ridgid tools and they have been really high quality. When I
went to register my purchase I found out that you do not need to register it because it is part of their "professional tool line" Automatically covered under their "Lifetime warranty".
I found replacement blades by Lenox. I use these on my big band saws. Friends with machine shops swear by them.
I built a 18 ga square tube project right after receiving the saw. I squared up the built in vise and never looked back. The vise is the best
I have seen on this type of saw. A solid precision vise. I was able to easily trim a blades width cut off of a square tube end to square it up. I rough cut the 22 foot lengths of tubing with the Milwaukee. Yes it is expensive but I believe it is worth it. I also own a old abrasive chop saw. The sparks are dangerous here in Colorado because of the draught and you will never get the precision cut from this saw as you can from a dry or cold cut saw.. I own a 5 hp Kalamazoo chop saw that runs on three phase. Bought a Milwaukee portaband saw This last year. Also use Lenox blades on that. I use the portaband for materials too big for the shop.