Harbor Freight Vulcan 220 Pro

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Well guys this is what I ended up with. I hope not to ever have to buy anything else. This machine has built in programs to set everything up depending on the thickness and wire size. Just select the wire size push the master and then select the thickness and push the master switch. You can then turn the WFS or voltage up or down as you desire or weld it like the machine selects. I did a little FCAW with it and find that the auto-select is a bit on the hot side so I turned the WFS and voltage both down a bit. For 1/4" material which is what I was welding on just running stringers, it selected 442 IPM and 21.4 volts (I think that was the volts) which was almost at spray arc speed. I turned it back to 380 and 20,5 and it welded a bit better although I suppose if you wanted to burn in with lots of penetration as in a T joint on structural the auto-set would work fine. I am looking forward to playing with this machine a lot more in the days to come.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I forgot to mention that I also got the spool gun with it too. Gonna play with some aluminum as soon as I find some plate (other than my table top)

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I sure would like to know what all is in the Vulcan machines to make them so heavy compared to the Titanium. The Omni Pro 220 weighs 42# compared to the titanium 200 at 24 IIRC. Shipping weigh on my Vulcan is 72# which includes all the ground clamps, MIG gun, stick rod holder (yes it stick rods also and TIG welds and runs a spool gun (TIG and spool gun sold separately of course) and argon flow meter and two heavy power cables. This one instead of a switch to flip and an adapter to plug on to go between 220 and 110 has a totally separate 10 foot power cord.

My argon flow meters are multiplying like rabbits. I bought one online to use with a TIG torch that a friend was giving me and when he showed up he brought 2 more flow meters and 2 TIG torches. I bought an Everlast 206SI and it came with a TIG torch and flowmeter. NOW the Omni Pro brought another flowmeter. All of the cords and clamps on the Vulcan machines are super heavy duty compared to the Titanium so that accounts for some of the shipping weigh, but I would love to see a YouTube video of someone opening up the cases on them. I would almost bet there is one out there if I search the internet though.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Does anyone else have a Vulcan welding machine. So far I really like this machine. I have my little Titanium 125 for flux core welding and my Vulcan for MIG,TIG and spool gun welding of aluminum. I also have my oxy-acetylene that I use for brazing and heating. I just need some customers for my welding shop. I guess I need to get off my butt and do some advertizing in the local pennysaver, craigslist and get the wife to put it on facebook. I have had a few inquiries about my shop but mostly folks just wanting to know that I can do welding, nothing needing fixing. I did fix an antique lawn chair for a lady that netted me $10 for welding 2 ea 1.5" rusty steel straps back together.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Get off your butt. Use every avenue available to you. Take on a few small projects of your own to sell. That showcases your skill.

I didn't have a clue how to weld anything 2 years ago. I started with a bunch of scraps making bar-b-q grills when I got my first welder in 2018. Now people buy them when I produce one. The sales aren't anything to brag about, but it makes me feel good to know that I took scrap and turned it into something useful. I don't build them to sell, but people see them and somebody decides that they want it.

A lady bought a $250 ottoman for $50 because the base of it had been mangled somehow. The only reason she bought it was because her husband brought a bbq pit to me to put a bottom in it. Her first thought was I know somebody with a welder.

Advertise and showcase. Word of mouth is what will get you going. I'm seeing it. Once people see your work, they'll come to you. Figure your price now.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I dont want to get into something full time. An occasional job or two per week would be great to fill my spare time (which isnt that much) and maybe justify all my welding equipment. I bought much of it to repair my broken stuff but I cant recall the last time I broke something BUT my brother in law seems to break or just wear out lots of stuff. The biggest problem around me is that the community has a lot of retired folks and a few daily commuters to jobs in Arkadelphia or Hot Springs who either no longer use their farm stuff of never had anything other than an automobile.