made a tailgate hitch step for my truck

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Looks like a real knee knocker. I suspect I would forget having it in place and ram my leg into right off the bat. I can sure see how that would be nice for getting in the bed. I think I would also need a hand rail to hold onto.

dee_veloper

Good Post Points
Welder
Longevity
Looks very good

jhn9840

Thanks!

Looks like a real knee knocker. I suspect I would forget having it in place and ram my leg into right off the bat. I can sure see how that would be nice for getting in the bed. I think I would also need a hand rail to hold onto.

Haven't had any problems, but maybe some foam edging is worth adding. Thought about a handle to hold onto, but couldn't come up with a good solution. Maybe something that raises up from the inside of the tailgate. Another future project. :)

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
That is a good idea for someone who climbs in their truck bed all the time, but I can count the times I have been in my bed on one hand. My hauling in the bed is done on the back 2' (gas cans and occasionally a flat tire and compressed gas bottles). I really only need my truck for towing my trailers, but now days that is very rare also.
Now when I need to access the bed of RTV (or truck ) I just sit on the tailgate and then crawl to the edge to help pull myself up, reverse to exit. Not a very sexy move, but then again neither am I @ 71 years old.

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
What would work great on your step is black pipe insulation foam. Most of the time it comes in ten foot pieces, but you can use the extra for something else. I use it on frame of my hand truck, works great when you don"t want to mark up what your moving. Pipe foam comes in all kinds of diameters, should work on the edges of your step, so when you do hit it with your leg. it"s an easy blow , instead of hurt .

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Thanks!

Haven't had any problems, but maybe some foam edging is worth adding. Thought about a handle to hold onto, but couldn't come up with a good solution. Maybe something that raises up from the inside of the tailgate. Another future project. :)
Perhaps a slight modification might help.
Like creating a hinge so that it stores vertically tucked in tight to the tailgate.