New plasma cutter going back for warranty work

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I think he meant that the circuit board had a break that would cut out at high amps but then weld itself back together so it functioned normally at low amps setting. Not to say that the circuit itself was seeing high amps but what it was controlling was seeing the amps. Most circuit boards are 120 volts down to as little as a few millivolts and control larger amp circuits. I am just guessing but I suspect that the circuit voltage fluctuated depending on the amp setting in the machine. At some point the voltage was high enough to melt the solder on the circuit board and break the contact but somehow would fuse back together as it cooled .

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
You would think that the tech would have tested out the machine at all amp levels for each of the machine's processes, before calling you or sending it back.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
You would think that the tech would have tested out the machine at all amp levels for each of the machine's processes, before calling you or sending it back.
One would think that but no, just burn one welding rod and call it good. At least he called prior to just boxing it up and sending it back again.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I got the Everlast back late yesterday afternoon (I am definitely saving the packing box this time) and immediately hooked up the leads to try the welder. It works this time and boy is it a hot welder. I started it as 125 amps like most of my 1/8" rods burn at but ended up with it on about 85 and it was still pretty hot. I will hook up the plasma torch today and see how that works. I could hope for some new internals in it but that isnt likely based on my last return with all damaged tips and electrodes.
Actually the first thing I did was take some JB Weld steel stick and use it to stick the broken front foot back to the front bezel. I am going to have to remove the side panel on it to see why the front plate is loose on one side. One of the screws is missing and I suspect there should be a clip inside to hold the bezel tight. It is hard to insert the welding lead into the machine due to it flexing without the screw to hold it.
It is almost sunrise now and 33F outside so I may wait a bit before going to the shop. It is supposed to get to mid 60's sometime today. Looks like we finally with see the sun after 4 days of cloudy drizzle and rain.
MORE later.