Rock Digging Bar DIY (NOT!!)

CADplans

Good Post Points
At the start of COVID-19, I decided I needed a dedicated rock digging tool,,so,, I whipped one up,,

It is made out of one inch diameter round steel bar, and a backhoe tooth,,

All welding was done with my Miller Trailblazer, and 1/8" 7018 rod,, (I have not "jumped" to MIG yet,, )

i89G8iz.jpg

Fpz311i.jpg

I did add a piece of 1/4X1x3 steel bar as a slight reinforcement for the tooth,,
I felt it might need it, in case I tie the bar to a tractor for a really stubborn rock.

Well, after building the bar,, I have used this tool almost EVERY time I go to the garden,, or do some other yard project.

I used the bar to plant potatoes, it is so heavy, you simply set the bar down in the garden soil, give it a wiggle, and you have a perfect hole for the potato.
The same for planting tomatoes,,it is easy to get any necessary depth hole for transplanting.
I wanted to remove a couple small trees,, YEP, the bar handled that task with ease,,

I do wear my safety to shoes when I use the thing, the way the backhoe tooth will easily go through a toe sized tree root,, I am sure it would do the same to a toe,,,

One thing I plan on adding is that I will weld 3 links of 5/16" chain near the handle,, That would make it REAL easy to connect a tow chain to it when I need that function,,
I doubt that the bar will bend, it is pretty strong,,

AND, heck,, if the weather stays as nice as it was today,, I might even get time to try it out by digging a few rocks,,,

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I think I 'one upped you'.
I made myself a super tooth (about 12 " long) to pop out rocks and small saplings.
Used an old truck axle as the 'tooth' and welded up a clamp on device like used for clamp on FEL trailer hitches.
Made it to fit between the center 2 teeth on my tooth bar and used dual screw clamps.
The axle end was crudely sharpened to a point.
Works like a charm!

olddude

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Dynasty 300 DX, Millermatic 252
I'd show it but it is so ugly in it was a last minute idea that I'd be ashamed to show it.
Awh come on it couldn't be that bad.....heck! I don't even know what a rock bar is and probably a lot of other people either so you know it will look like a million bucks.

kayco53

Good Post Points
Welder
systematics
Don't worry about not jumping to mig. I find that on stuff getting beaten up 7018 works out better. We built a quickie trailer for a one off job and when we got there we realized one fender wasn't welded only lightly tacked and was holding fine. Both of us are ticket welder/fabricators and both said the same thing. Thank god it was stick hard wire like that would most likely have failed due to vibration. Nothing wrong with properly welded mig. Most machinery is welded that way.

AKoz

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln MIG and stick
I like what I seen but for me I would like something that could get a rock that is deeper than the foot rest on this bar. Have you considered something that allows the foot rest to be easily added and removed as needed.
I'll keep this in mind during the rock digging off season, but before rock digging training camp starts.😁