Trouble seeing weld and light entering helmet from behind and above

OldBill

Good Post Points
Welder
Chicago Electric and old AC tombstone Ox/Acetylne
Realativly new to welding. Running my auto darkening at lightest shade possible at 9. Using a 120 volt flux welder and when the arc strikes I have troube seeing what I'm welding, as a result I'm getting crappy welds and missing the joint I'm trying to weld! Also I seem to get a lot of light reflecting into my hood from above and behind me. Is there some way I can shield the back of my hood to prevent this.
Thanks for any and all help and suggestions,
BIll

WranglerX

Good Post Points
Welder
HObart handler 140
One issue I had was light reflecting off green welding jacket, off my chest into back of hood, solution for me was to return green welding jacket and get a black one....
As for seeing where you want the weld to go, try putting bright ambient light source on area where you are welding... Yeah seems counterproductive but yes it does help....

California

Good Post Points
And use some sort of drape to keep light from entering around the top and sides of the helmet.

I have an old brown t-shirt that I intended to use for a rag but now I've dedicated it to this use. Not needed all the time, but I reach for it as soon as visibility is difficult.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
back light is usually a big factor as stated above. you may want to search for a shade 8 capable hood or buy a cheap passive hood and a shade 8 lens. I have a pipe liner with a gold shade 8 lens I use from time to time when conditions call for it and have had good luck with it.
another option I am sure some people are tired of hearing is a pancake hood. I am a big fan of them and it is the first hood I reach for.
If you are using a cheap auto darkening hood that may be your problem, if so the vulcan at hf is a really good hood, that is what I usually use if I am not using the pancake. I have a sentinel I like too but the price is a hurdle to overcome and I haven't been thrilled with the battery life on it but esab may have that issue fixed by now.
I and many others I know struggled with poor performing hoods for years but there are some well priced hoods out there now priced bellow 100 bucks. I don't know what they cost now but the the ARCONE 1000cfc filter lens is a really good replacement lens, that is what I run in my pancake hood.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The color of your walls and ceiling make a huge difference with reflected light. I left my shop walls (plywood) unpainted to reduce the reflected glare. White walls and ceiling are the worst for reflecting light. As already mentioned, a dark cloth draped over the back of your head/hood is guaranteed to stop the reflected light. It will require some effort to keep in place but I have used that method when working inside a stainless steel vessel to stop the reflected light, especially with lots of other welder arcs going on. Enough of it will also cause flash burn to the eyes.

California

Good Post Points
... option I am sure some people are tired of hearing is a pancake hood. I am a big fan of them and it is the first hood I reach for.
... ARCONE 1000cfc filter lens is a really good replacement lens, that is what I run in my pancake hood.
What's a pancake hood?

Amazon link? This is new to me.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
One of these will block the light from above and behind you.

You might try going to a darker shade setting.
What brand helmet did you go with, all brands are not equal when it comes to the auto shade.