Troubleshooting Popping

CoHay

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln
You need to replace the o-ring seals on the cutting head. That will fix the problem. Your LWS should have them but take your heart medicine first so you dont have a heart attack when they tell you the price of each O-ring.
I agree with Gary but we get by with O-rings that we have in the shop.

Good Post Points
I've posted prior about the same rig but this is a different issue so I thought I'd start a new thread. I have this little setup. The little plastic caddie with the small tanks. I really have no history on the setup as it was given to me. Oxygen is reading over 2000 and acetylene at about 120ish. Right now, I'm just testing and the setup as I am new but have done a lot of research. Before cutting or really doing anything with it, I just want to make sure it's safe. I've leaked tested and everything seems in check.

I cleaned the tip and took it to my local shop for inspection to get their blessing on the tip. The torch has built-in check and arrestors. With the cutting attachment and a 0 tip, I'm getting popping. Around every 5-10 seconds after introducing oxygen. I can get it to run smooth with a welding attachment but not with the cutting attachment. So I think I've isolated the problem to the cutting attachment as the handle/body seems to work with the welding attachment. I'm not sure what to go at next or if there's a troubleshooting protocol for this type of situation. I'm starting with 5psi working on the acetylene and 10-20 psi on the oxygen to start. The popping is not blowing out the flame and is not particularly violent but is enough to cause me concern as I don't believe I should have any popping. But I'm not sure since I'm new. What would be my next move?

Thank you.
tighten the cutting head to the torch handle after checking surfaces to see they clean and same with torch tip no dirt no oil on any of them

Alastair

Good Post Points
Welder
Unimig 200, Esab Caddy
Not sure what brand you are using, but from my experience it has always been the seal between the tip and body. Seems like the body is misshapen or damaged from a bad tip being forced into place. .y only answer to the problem was to replace the front piece of the torch.
Yes you are correct, I serviced gas welding and cutting equipment for many years and often had to re seat cutting attachment heads. Of course I had seat cutters for all different models and always used a new cutting nozzle. Cutting compounds were never successful.