Aluminum Jon Repair

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I haven't used a spool gun in 50 years since my days in the army fixing armored personnel carriers but it worked pretty well for the first try. Spot welding would be ok on thin stuff but trying to weld sheet metal takes some real talent.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
All those bb's flying everywhere is a good reason to invest in an ARC PIG so I can use my TIG torch and Miller 250 dial arc to weld aluminum. I just need to replenish my disposable income funds a bit. Last month my Mastercard bill was $5K due to some major patio furniture purchases and my welding / tool purchases. Patio looks nice now and my shop tools are looking very satisfying. If I can get my plasma back and working I will just about be set (except for the arc pig). So far though, those loading ramps are the only thing I have needed to weld aluminum and those were a friends.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Load tested the loading ramps and they didnt quite hold the weight of my RTV 900 before breaking right in the middle of the weld. Better than when my buddy welded them, they broke when he bounce on it in the middle. I think we need to cut all that off and get some heavier hinge material. Weld if not pulling loose from the base metal, just breaking in the middle of the joint where it was originally broke. With the design we cant put any reinforcement on it or strapping to increase the strength because then it wont fold up. More on this much later when we find some aluminum to make some hinges.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Got a 2+ yr old, 8 point last night. My biggest deer to date... Season is shaping up well.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I hear a few gun discharges from time to time which has got all the deer hunkered down. I havent seen any eyes shining at night in my pasture in a few weeks now although I have seen a doe or two crossing the road in front of me during the daylight hours.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Have one boat about to be stripped of accessories and outboard to go to a buyer, 2 nice bucks to process for the freezer and euro mounts to do (my first ones to try), a golf cart to hunting vehicle project hopefully to use yet this season, so this project is on the back burner. I knew it would get hectic, but not this much. At lease my hunting pressure is off after filling 2 tags 8 days apart and early in the season. Now I can relax a bit and get some of these projects done.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Have one boat about to be stripped of accessories and outboard to go to a buyer, 2 nice bucks to process for the freezer and euro mounts to do (my first ones to try), a golf cart to hunting vehicle project hopefully to use yet this season, so this project is on the back burner. I knew it would get hectic, but not this much. At lease my hunting pressure is off after filling 2 tags 8 days apart and early in the season. Now I can relax a bit and get some of these projects done.
Congrats on the Racks. I'm still after them. I've done 6 Euro's. If you want a few tips let me know.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have a 12+ year old 36 volt EZGO cart that we use as secondary transport when the RTV 900 is occupied. I am on the second set of batteries and they need replacing. Since the wife doesnt go far with it, I will replace the 6ea 6 volt batteries with 3 ea 12 volt deep cycle batteries. These should be much cheaper (1/2 the cost) of replacing with $800 6 volt.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I have a 12+ year old 36 volt EZGO cart that we use as secondary transport when the RTV 900 is occupied. I am on the second set of batteries and they need replacing. Since the wife doesnt go far with it, I will replace the 6ea 6 volt batteries with 3 ea 12 volt deep cycle batteries. These should be much cheaper (1/2 the cost) of replacing with $800 6 volt.
Interesting. I wonder why they don't just do that when new? Must have something to do with amp hours or something.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Interesting. I wonder why they don't just do that when new? Must have something to do with amp hours or something.
Yes, it is the amps. The 6 volts are huge and heavy with lots of plates and they cost more than a 12volt Marine deep cycle battery and you need twice as many. For golf course use, charging for 4 hours each night would run them all day. I dont think you could get that many miles out of 3 or 4 (4 for 48 volt carts) 12volt deep cycle batteries. But that would work fine for my uses which is less than half mile per day use. Mostly it is just to run next door which is only about 100 yards and back.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I'm finding its all about the plates and their capacity for longer discharge time. A true deep cycle has huge plates and can can be discharged down to 20% and still be fine. Marine batteries can only be ran down to 50% max because their plates are not as beefy. I need to be able to get between 2 and 5 miles out of a charge for just a day of hunting on a lease. Mine came with 6 volt 230 AH batteries, the 3 x 12 volt 150 AH battery option should work well in my cart for my use, but I'm finding either option will cost close to the same price. $300 per 12v battery or $150 per 6v battery, so if that's the case I'll opt for the more amp hour setup for the longer run times.

Last edited:

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I'm finding its all about the plates and their capacity for longer discharge time. A true deep cycle has huge plates and can can be discharged down to 20% and still be fine. Marine batteries can only be ran down to 50% max because their plates are not as beefy. I need to be able to get between 2 and 5 miles out of a charge for just a day of hunting on a lease. Mine came with 6 volt 230 AH batteries, the 3 x 12 volt 150 AH battery option should work well in my cart for my use, but I'm finding either option will cost close to the same price. $300 per 12v battery or $150 per 6v battery, so if that's the case I'll opt for the more amp hour setup for the longer run times.
Wow, what kind of deep cycle battery cost $300 each? I run my boats trolling motor all day on a $150 deep cycle battery.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Wow, what kind of deep cycle battery cost $300 each? I run my boats trolling motor all day on a $150 deep cycle battery.
I do the same on my boat with one battery @ just under $100. Golf carts and their batteries are a different beast. The amp hour ratings of our marine batteries aren't much compared to a golf cart battery. The prices I gave are an average. If you go online you can find Trojan T105 batteries in a 6 pack, 6 volt for $1299.95. That's $216.66 each with free shipping. I can find equivalent batteries for less than $150 from other manufacturers. The 12v versions are $2K for 6. It would sure pay to know a guy, who knows a guy who can get the batteries at dealer prices or less...

bplayer405

Good Post Points
For me and my budget, it'll be a while before I can afford the batteries, so yet another sidelined project. This 70° weather has spurred me more back on track with my boat. It may be time to bolt on a piece of treated 2x12 and see how my longshaft 35hp Evinrude does on my project boat... I hope it does well. It would mean tearing my transom back apart and making it taller, but I could sell my other outboard and fund the boat project and possibly get new batteries for the cart...

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I see that they are selling some Lithium Ion batteries for golf carts now. So far the price is prohibitive but they are bragging about life, weight and no water. Dakota brand.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
Yes, they claim 5 times more charge cycles and their prices are reflective of it... Problem is you need more than just the batteries to run them. Takes a different charger and controller in most cases. Some even are smart and link to an app on your phone for monitoring... too high tech for my needs.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I wasnt even thinking about putting any more golf cart batteries in my cart, just 3 plain ole 12v deep cycle marine battery which will do all I need to do with it. I hadnt thought about the charging though. I wonder if my 36 volt charger will have any issues charging 3 ea 12 volt rather than 6 ea 6v batteries? Anyone ever did what I am thinking about doing with their 36v golf cart?