auto darkening helmet issue

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
I went ahead and ordered the Lincoln 3350 from Cyberweld. It should be here today. If the weather holds I might even get to try it out. I was bidding on a used one on Ebay, but it was almost up to the price of a new one.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Well I went all hog wild and bought an 'el cheepo' (like $40.00) over the net and must say I'm well satisfied with the performance so far.
Only complaint is that it constantly pinches my right ear.
I did some research B4 selecting my buy and lucked out I guess.
I use it fairly often but still cautious as to reliability so I do a test B4 each session.
My simple test is to flick my bic (lighter that is) to check response.
That works for me!

Lis2323

Good Post Points
Well I went all hog wild and bought an 'el cheepo' (like $40.00) over the net and must say I'm well satisfied with the performance so far.
Only complaint is that it constantly pinches my right ear.
I did some research B4 selecting my buy and lucked out I guess.
I use it fairly often but still cautious as to reliability so I do a test B4 each session.
My simple test is to flick my bic (lighter that is) to check response.
That works for me!

I’m cheaper than you, PILOON. TWO used ADs for $10.

Adjustments.jpg

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
The new Lincoln was delivered as advertised, and was indeed tried out that day. Like anything new there's a learning curve. It comes with a myriad of adjustments for the headgear alone, plus other positioning variables. That took a while. I used it some that day, and again for a while on the next day. I think the lens performance will be what I'd hoped it would be. I opted for a 2X cheater lens as well, but haven't installed it yet. Thought I'd let the tired old eyes adjust to it "100% natural" at first and then add that in later to see how much(if any) improvement it makes. For all the bells and whistles the headgear seems a bit light duty to me. I hope I'm wrong there, and it holds up well.

Haven't used it enough yet to say one way or the if spending that much was right or wrong, but so far I'm feeling good about it. There is one thing I'm not sure I care for so far. The outer splatter shield doesn't pop out from the front. The lens unit has to come out in order to replace the shield. Probably no big thing, just different from my other unit. Might turn out to better in the long run, I don't know.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
One thing I have learned to do with my helmet.
I store it in a re usable cloth shopping bag and hang it up so that I doesn't get filthy dirty since I don't use it all that often.
As to the outer lens, I have some clear plastic that I use as replacements whenever the installed one gets badly mucked up.

And before every usage I always do my 'flick of my bik (lighter) trick to test response.
The oxy/ acetylene starter spark would also be a good 'go/no go' flash test.

tmechanic

Good Post Points
I picked up an Eastwood XL9000 Extra Wide out darkening helmet, nice big view port, 3.9" x 3.6", they no longer carry it, the new model is the XL9300, they moved most of the controls to the outside of the helmet. It has a separate battery pack that I've kept going for the past 5 years, I leave sitting facing a window while not in use.Helmet.jpgbattery pack.jpg

Jcarr

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 330 AB/P
Don't know what to say. I have two Fibre-Metals hoods I bought when I was in my mid 20's: one is a flip up and the other is a fixed lens style. I'm 71 now and had no problems except to replace the adjustable headgear even though the exterior is a bit scorched from welding heavy aluminum with GMAW. Of course they do not auto darken, but what the heck using them for over 40 years has taught me the skills/techique to make them work without getting flashed. AND they are the old 2 x 4 1/4 size filter plate.

piper184

Good Post Points
This is a very interesting discussion, thank you all for your input. I learned a lot of stuff about AD helmets today.
I have an old H.F. which I think was labeled Western Safety when I got it. The stickers fell off years ago. It gets used a few times a year and hangs in the dark the rest of the time. I was under the impression that these things worked by the light energy hitting the solar cells provided the juice to flip the lens to dark mode and that the adjustment know was a simple varistor that controlled how dark it got. I was not aware of any battery involved. Since I am in the middle of a welding project I am going to take it apart and clean it and search for a battery.
I do wish for a wider view port as getting the bifocals and the lens and the work all lined up properly is a PITA these days.
Thanks again!

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln TIG, 3 or so Arc and 180Amp MIG
Sorry, off topic but someone mentioned magnified lenses?
Wow, I end up putting on strong glasses or even 2 pair of glasses to see what I'm welding. I'll have to look into those as an absolute saviour to my welding.

I purchased a $300 helmet (Australian, around $200US at the time) some time back after playing with a few cheaper automatic helmets. I am glad I spent the money because I can get from shade 5 (I think from memory) to 13. A huge range of adjustment via a high/low switch. I'm not sure of the brand. My eyesight has deteriorated and I just can't see weld pools so I often find I'm running with a lighter shade to see.

Most of my welding is only light steel but I'm often using 2-3 different arc welders (all very different) and a near new mig I don't get out as often as I should. It's how I feel and what I can be bothered setting up on the day (I suffer from chronic migraines on a daily basis).

Fedup

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Lincoln
I still haven't tried the cheater lens. Not sure what to expect from it. Will it make things appear twice as big, or twice as close? Just getting accustomed to seeing the puddle, keeping the tip of the rod where I want it and the arc going is challenging enough without throwing in guesswork about whether or not the piece is actually where I think it is. Tired old eyes, tired brain, shaky hands, all present challenges I never knew existed thirty years ago.

lunky55

Good Post Points
Are they anything special, or would it be available like any other battery?
If it's like my Radnor helmet, the battery is not replaceable. If I would have known, I would not have paid over $300 for it.

Lis2323

Good Post Points
If it's like my Radnor helmet, the battery is not replaceable. If I would have known, I would not have paid over $300 for it.

My Optrel was the same. Mind you I bought it 20 years ago.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I still haven't tried the cheater lens. Not sure what to expect from it. Will it make things appear twice as big, or twice as close? Just getting accustomed to seeing the puddle, keeping the tip of the rod where I want it and the arc going is challenging enough without throwing in guesswork about whether or not the piece is actually where I think it is. Tired old eyes, tired brain, shaky hands, all present challenges I never knew existed thirty years ago.
For me, my 2x cheater lens works like a magnifying glass, and while works great when I drop the hood for welding, I wouldn't want to flip the hood to grind and try grinding through it, too much head movement with it on and I get dizzy.

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
S
Thank you. Good to know I didn’t overpay.
Sorry - that was snarky wasn't it? I work for an auction company & we usually can't give used welding helmets away. I buy them frequently for a dollar just to keep the auction moving.

Lis2323

Good Post Points
S

Sorry - that was snarky wasn't it? I work for an auction company & we usually can't give used welding helmets away. I buy them frequently for a dollar just to keep the auction moving.

Haha. No worries. . With this Covid thing you will probably be further ahead tossing them out.