Case 444 - Loader/Frame mod

Dcurtis

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 180HD w/spool gun
A basic project - to modify the frame on a Case 444 so I can install a wide base Kohler engine. Some Case GT came with a lowered frame to accept an Onan motor.
The stock engine (narrow base) sat inside the frame, whereas the wide base mounts wider than the frame (9.25"). The other kicker is, just mounting it on top of the frame creates a new world of hurt (hydraulic lines will have to be changed, the hood will hit it, etc...)

The mod is to cut a notch (1" x 8") out of the frame, add mounts and reinforce the frame.

(See attached Pics) frame is essentially 3.5 x 1.5 channel (1/8"), I'll cut the top out, insert a 12" piece of 3/16" 2.5 x 2.5 (or was it 2x2?) angle with 2" notched from each end. This will sit over the frame and have 2" support inside the frame. I'll weld in 2 vertical pieces of 3/16 x 1.25"x3.25" on both ends of the angle to reinforce the frame. I may connect these with another piece of 3/16" flat to create a wider support for the engine. On the outside I'll add a couple gussets (supports).

Nothing major, just a simple welding project (The fun project will be the Articulated Joint for my other Case tractor project, and trying to weld 1/2" with my Lincoln 180 HD!!)

Attachments

• Loader frame mod2a.jpg
    Loader frame mod2a.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Loader frame moda.jpg
    Loader frame moda.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 13