Changing odds and ends into useful implements

CFB

Good Post Points
Welder
None. Very interested though.
Hello,
I do not weld yet. I tried to copy in a picture. I have a few tractors and a few parts from old abandon tractors that with a little help (welding) may make some useful parts. That is my hope anyway in learning to weld, plus some repairs too. I got the picture from a casecoltingersoll website as a sample of what I may like to do. I saw some other types of receivers a bit smaller but could not locate them again. I generally enjoy the creativity of so many people. 1589077957918.png

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
Definitely worth learning. Here's a crane I made for my truck out of an old pickup crane I've had lying around for years and a hub from a Dana 80 axle. The weight it has hanging from it weighs 1500 lbs. IMG_20200501_140820_1.jpg

Don_

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Primeweld AC-DC TIG Stick, Powermax45, Lincoln 225
.... and, it is a lot of fun.

Nice crane!!
. . . . . say . . . . .

it's not a trick photo, right?

floating-can.jpg

Kidding! just kidding.

Don_

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Now using up odds and ends to create a useful objects is an art in itself and a chalenge but most satisfying.
Garden art is in that category like making birds from a garden spade or puppy dogs from a large coil spring.
Now surprising enough there is a market for creative garden art as well.

A bit of welding and a garage find ATV winch became the powerhead to rotate my snow blower chute.

In my case a few lengths of 2 x 2 sq tubing and I made myself a heated cab for my tractor.
An old steel workbench top became the basis for a snow plow blade for my tractor.

While welding is a trade it can also be an art.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
The crane project looks nice. Heavy duty for sure. Got me thinking... about repurposing the material I have from an old weight bench into a light duty hitch crane... if only to help load a deer...

• Good Post
Reactions: SIO

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Learning to weld and buying a machine, is one of those skills and purchases that will pay you back in dividends, just making repairs to equipement you have, or welding up a few exhaust systems on your vehicles, will more than pay for your investment, let alone fabricating tools you can't buy or easilly afford if you can find them, or building things from scratch.

Welcome to the forum.......You know what they say, when you have no money, you get creative.......
I found poverty and/or frugality, not necessity, to be the mother of all my inventions. lol

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
The crane project looks nice. Heavy duty for sure. Got me thinking... about repurposing the material I have from an old weight bench into a light duty hitch crane... if only to help load a deer...
For light use like that you could get away with just using a tube inside a tube rather than a bearing, although if you can find an old trailer axle or free float truck axle like I used it'd be smoother. Really nice to have this thing. Saved me having to load up and haul the loader to a couple different places just to load one or two things already.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
For light use like that you could get away with just using a tube inside a tube rather than a bearing, although if you can find an old trailer axle or free float truck axle like I used it'd be smoother. Really nice to have this thing. Saved me having to load up and haul the loader to a couple different places just to load one or two things already.

I needed to change my Kia wheel bearings recently.
I kept the old ones and was able to do a reasonable job of restoring them (not for road use) but sure would make a nice off road trailer since a length of tubing welded between the flanges would make a nice axle and I could then use my winter tires for summer trailer use. (I have 2 sets of rims)
Nothing like re purposing discarded stuff!

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I would imagine a 2wd front wheel hub assembly would work well for a rotating point for a truck crane. Wheel studs to mount and flanges to bolt or weld to the vertical tube... just thinking out loud...

SIO

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Idealarc
I needed to change my Kia wheel bearings recently.
I kept the old ones and was able to do a reasonable job of restoring them (not for road use) but sure would make a nice off road trailer since a length of tubing welded between the flanges would make a nice axle and I could then use my winter tires for summer trailer use. (I have 2 sets of rims)
Nothing like re purposing discarded stuff!
If they're unit bearings, (and I assume they are, given your description), you don't actually need an axle. I built an off road trailer and used some old unit bearings off a Dana 60 axle from a Dodge 3500. I used a piece of 3/8"x4x6 angle, reinforced with gussets. Cut a big hole with four small holes around it to fit the corresponding holes in the unit bearing. Basically copying the way that it normally mounts to the steering knuckle. The angle can then be welded directly to the frame of the trailer. This gives you extra ground clearance and eliminates the need for an axle and also allows you to easily replace the bearings if/when they wear out.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
If they're unit bearings, (and I assume they are, given your description), you don't actually need an axle. I built an off road trailer and used some old unit bearings off a Dana 60 axle from a Dodge 3500. I used a piece of 3/8"x4x6 angle, reinforced with gussets. Cut a big hole with four small holes around it to fit the corresponding holes in the unit bearing. Basically copying the way that it normally mounts to the steering knuckle. The angle can then be welded directly to the frame of the trailer. This gives you extra ground clearance and eliminates the need for an axle and also allows you to easily replace the bearings if/when they wear out.

Read U 5 X 5, good suggestion (and I'll use it)!
Fact is while the bearings were 'on stanby' due to needing a proper sized axle tube your idea will work out better.
In fact might just start on that over next day or two.

• Good Post
Reactions: SIO