Flap wheel and cutoff disc manufacturers

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I’ve been building a lean to off the side of my main shop, just a little addition 48’ x 16’ to park trailers and implements under. I put metal flashing and Facia metal on the 2x8 facia. To make the turns easier to bend the metal around, I took some of my used Flap Wheels, and rounded off the hard corners of lumber. They cut wood like butter. Lots of use for the flap wheels, when used, but not used up.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The HF ones do fly apart pretty easily. I’ve bought a few different brands on line ( usually 20-50 packs) and you can get them for a better price. Also when you purchase cut off wheels in bulk, usually packs of 10 you get a pretty good price.
I was just reminded that we should all check the RPM rating on our grinders and only buy wheels/ disc/ sanding pads that meet the RPM of our tools. I was looking at some of my HF grinders and my DeWalt grinders and found that I doubt my HF sanding pads comply with the 13,000 RPM rating of my Dewalt grinders. HF 4.5" grinder turn at 6000 so without checking my stock, I would bet that their abrasives dont meet the higher rating needed for the N Dewalt.
Note: My 7 amp Dewalt turns 13K rpm but my 11amp one only turns 11K, both are double the speed of HF grinders which shows up quickly when using them due to the quick removal of metal compared to HF grinders but it does sacrifice the wheel quickly also.

Last edited:

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Note: I did check the HF abrasives and they barely meet the requirement by 300 rpm. 13,300 is max rpm on any HF item that I have and Dewalt no load speed is 13000.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
I bought a couple from HF and a couple from HD (I think they are diabolo brand?). I didn't notice a whole lot of difference. But then again I'm not very experienced yet.

California

Good Post Points
I do (did, pre-Covid) a lot of business with HF because they are so convenient. The Fairfield store is on the frontage road next to my route between home and ranch, only 2 minutes off-route to stop in there. Anything else, even HD and Lowes, is a bit of an expedition. I occasionally visit pros for better quality welding stuff, industrial abrasives, threading tools etc.

For anything expensive its worthwhile to comparison-shop elsewhere. I bought my table saw at Lowes for the same dollar cost as HF. Skil logo. Same identical saw as HF. But at the time HF charged additional $20 (WTF? Now $45!) for the base that came included with the Lowes'.

Caveat Emptor.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I too have seen much of HF stuff continually going up in price to where some of the better known brands are not that far off from the HF premium brands. I have to say though that my new Earthquake 20v 1/2" impact gun does put out some heavy duty torque. I have no way to officially test it, So I took a 5/8" +-grade 8.8 metric bolt, tightened it by hammering it for about 5 seconds, then using a standard sized combo wrench I couldnt loosen it. My much younger and stronger buddy tried it also and by using a 2 foot cheater and some foot backup on the table managed to loosen up the nut. I retightened and tried it again but I couldnt get it to break loose using the wrench but the gun spun it right off. I am very impressed with it's claimed 1200 FP torque but it is a bit on the heavy side. I may look at getting something smaller in the 3/8" size for light duty stuff.
I also bought the Earthquake 20 v 4.5" grinder and it is very handy and powerful as any 120V on that I have. We used it to cut off some concrete 3/4" concrete anchor bolts that required some not so safe use of a 7" OD cut off wheel to reach the bolt due to a fitment on top and it handled it just as easily as the 4.5" wheel.

Last edited:

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
I am really liking the Benchmark Abrasive flap discs. Hands down better quality than the Chinese product that I had been using

I really like the Benchmark product as well, I use them in the shop at home and at work and have had really good luck with the flap discs and cut off wheels. I have tried the harbor freight discs including the supposed higher grade one that I can't remember and they were a total waste of money for me.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
If you've never tried a 3M Cubitron II abrasive on metal, you really owe it to yourself to do so. I have never seen anything eat metal like these. I've got a friend who works in that group at 3M so i get an occasional sample from him. They are amazing
I have used the cubitron products at work and they are really good but to expensive for me to buy at home. the bristle brushes are great, no more picking wire out of your jacket, pants and gloves.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
A little better quality, and they don’t fray apart like some of the cheaper brands