Hitch cargo carrier

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Has any one fabricated a trailer hitch cargo carrier? I looking for an idea to use it for gas cans, not luggage, and it would hold 2- 5 gal cans.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I was wondering if it would be cost effective to make one or get a HF cheap one.
You should be able to build one cheaper than the $50 that HF sells for an ATV, and likely have one much more durable. I made this one for about $20 back in the late '90's before I knew how to weld. It was made out of a piece of 2" square tube and flat plate for the base, and framing diagonal brace for the cages. It held up quite well even though it was all made out of .095 material held together with rivets. It slid into a 4" section of square tube mounted to the drop hitch, and held with a hitch pin for easy removal. The ratchet strap was used to keep it from rubbing against the tail gate.

Gas can carrier1.jpg

If I was to build one now, I would use .125 angle iron, either 1.5" or 2" with expanded metal for the base, .125 1" angle iron for the corner uprights, and 1" or 1.5" .125 flat stock for the top edge or use 1/2"-1"" angle iron.

Last edited:

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
If you have metal already, weather it’s new stock or old salvaged pieces out can create one cheap. If you need to purchase metal, picking up a HF piece to start with, then cutting snd welding to nicely fit your cans would save lots of time and probably be the least expensive way to go.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
If you don't have the scrap already, drop plate fro, a steel shop should be cheaper than buying new at a store like HD. Another option would be look for a bed frame on craigslist, in my area they usually run free-$20. While the steel used isn't angle iron, it should be plenty strong for what you would be using it for.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
The family friend, that taught me to weld many years ago ( he was a welder by trade, and had a large welding fabrication shop) told me long ago, that bed frame metal was a form of spring steel, and welding it would result in getting brittle and cracking.

California

Good Post Points
... friend ... had a large welding fabrication shop) told me ... bed frame metal was a form of spring steel, and welding it would result in getting brittle and cracking.
I've read that, and also that it's difficult to weld.

I didn't know that when I made loader forks. Nothing has bent or broken in some 15 years use.

Photo links:
The day the forks were built. The rusty parts are bedframe angle iron.
Same day, testing with 450 lb load, much of it on the tip of one fork.
Recent, painted.

I also used bedframe angle iron for a less critical project, the perimeter frame under a pallet-based platform that I carry on the forks. In this photo I'm down in the back of the apple orchard in November at a lone Persimmon tree. A previous version of that platform without reinforcement was too flexible to climb onto, or to carry anything near its edges.

20191205_121013rPickPersimmons-platform.jpg

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
The family friend, that taught me to weld many years ago ( he was a welder by trade, and had a large welding fabrication shop) told me long ago, that bed frame metal was a form of spring steel, and welding it would result in getting brittle and cracking.
Bed frames are OK. I've found that they can't stand much heat. Whenever I have had the arc too hot, the steel gets crystalline looking. The base metal will break away from the weld. I never really noticed anything as long as I was using the 70 amp wire welder that I started with. After I got a little more heat to play with, that's when I started having problems.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have welded bedframe angle iron using 7018 rod with no issue. It is a bit high in carbon content thus it is a lot harder than A36 mild steel, but it is still weldable with low hydrogen rods. I wouldnt use a 60xx rod though.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
It is my understanding that they are made from scrap steel, with most of it being from railroad tracks, which is high carbon, which is why they are not that friendly for metal work, i.e., a pain to drill holes through it and issues with failing welds or material around the weld.

As far as my experience has gone with welding it for static use, either as light brackets, metal shelving, or as a bed frame(got tired of the adjustable ones always falling apart), the welds seem to hold up, no issue with the metal breaking near the weld. Granted none of it is under any kind of leveraging stress loads, but neither should the welds be when used as a gas can rack. The 65 lbs of weight of the gas/cans would be spread out over multiple welds, reducing the amount of static load to just a few lbs per weld. If concerned, and he got some cheap or free, he could weld up two pieces and see what it takes to break the weld or the steel around it, he could also anneal a few inches of the steel around the welds, softening the steel.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
It is my understanding that they are made from scrap steel, with most of it being from railroad tracks, which is high carbon, which is why they are not that friendly for metal work, i.e., a pain to drill holes through it and issues with failing welds or material around the weld.

As far as my experience has gone with welding it for static use, either as light brackets, metal shelving, or as a bed frame(got tired of the adjustable ones always falling apart), the welds seem to hold up, no issue with the metal breaking near the weld. Granted none of it is under any kind of leveraging stress loads, but neither should the welds be when used as a gas can rack. The 65 lbs of weight of the gas/cans would be spread out over multiple welds, reducing the amount of static load to just a few lbs per weld. If concerned, and he got some cheap or free, he could weld up two pieces and see what it takes to break the weld or the steel around it, he could also anneal a few inches of the steel around the welds, softening the steel.
Almost all steel in use today is made from scrap. I do agree that it is a bit higher in carbon content than normal structural steel angle and while some parts are extremely hard, others drill rather easily which leads me to believe that the quality control of the melt is not very well maintained. Likely Chinesium material.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I’m sure if you used an Older bed frame, the quality of the material is probably better. Pre cheap China mixed metals

California

Good Post Points
I ended up buying the H.F. carrier for $39.99. The price was right.
Makes sense to me.

It's from HF so don't overlook your responsibility for final quality and safety inspection. They save a lot of money by skipping that final step. :p

Then just enjoy it.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Has any one fabricated a trailer hitch cargo carrier? I looking for an idea to use it for gas cans, not luggage, and it would hold 2- 5 gal cans.
I've built several and then never used. One for the road and one to haul deer on my 4 wheeler. The one for the road I made so the corner posts would screw out to make a flatbed.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I wish I could help with this, BUT, my Kubota RTV has a pretty big box on the back that hydraulically dumps so I never had any need for a cargo carrier around the house and with just me and the wife, if we go somewhere it is just one suitcase each so even the little Honda CRV handles the luggage easily.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee and a 2020 Subaru Outback, that I absolutely hate putting gas cans in and other items which may be as such. Don't need it for luggage, or I would have bought a better one,if there is such a thing.

MarineScott

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart Handler 140
Makes sense to me.

It's from HF so don't overlook your responsibility for final quality and safety inspection. They save a lot of money by skipping that final step. :p

Then just enjoy it.
If it gets ran into, or damaged, I'm not out a lot of money.