Homemade front loader for Branson compact tractor

ptsg

Good Post Points
As requested by Muhammad to get some content going on this new forum, I'll show a project I finished last year.

It's a homemade loader for my 35HP Branson tractor. Entirely made from scratch, including all the cylinders.

I design the entire thing on a CAD program to figure out all the geometry needed and also it's a tremendous help on building the loader as all I need to do is to cut the pieces to the dimensions on the drawing.

I'll share the video as it have a more pictures than I have on the TBN thread and also have some machining clips.

Lot's of welding, machining and fabrication. All the welds are made using 6013 welding rods using a 20+ year old 3 phase rectifier welder. No fancy MIG or TIG here. :)

First time I made any cylinders and they came up pretty much perfect. Absolutely no leaks or problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Tried to add a couple pictures that I took after the video, including a set of forks I made but it keeps saying that the pictures are too big.

Last edited:

ptsg

Good Post Points
It wasn't all that expensive and that's why I decided to make it myself instead of buying one. I could have a new loader put on the tractor for 2500€ or $2700.

I had most of the materials already so the entire loader ended up costing me around around $900.

I bought a used but in decent shape control valve from a bigger Case backhoe I believe. It's a bit too big but it's been working just and only cost me $50. For the round stock, I have a local metal supplier where I bought loads of drops for $60 and still had some spares at the end of the project. Also around $250 for a couple of sheet metal pieces 5/16" of the scrapyard for the bucket and all the other cut outs.

The honed barrel and chromed rod for the cylinders cost me around $160 on a local hydraulic shop. Another $15 for a piece of cast iron for the glands. The 4 seal kits ended up at $90. Hoses, fittings and quick disconnects ended up being $200. Plus a little bit for supplies and all that stuff.

This is all approximated numbers in dollars because I'm from Portugal and we use Euro as currency.

3LFarms

Good Post Points
I am amazed at the talent it took to build your own cylinders and not have any leaks. Excellent job!

ptsg

Good Post Points
Adding a couple more pictures that I took after the video.

I also made a set of forks right after I finished the loader. I borrowed the forks from my 70's Electric forklift since it can't really do anything offroad without sinking and it needs expensive batteries. It has been one of the most useful things I've made. It has been on the tractor about 90% of the time and it's on the painting list along with several other things.

IMG_20191231_144206.jpg
IMG_20191223_112058.jpg
IMG_20191022_164040.jpg