Howdy and welcome. What MIG to buy?

RenoHuskerDu

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln stick, so far
My sons and I do hobby and ranch welding. Currently I'm hung up on a repair to the floorboard of our classic Bullnose Ford because I only have a stick welder. That's good for ranch projects but not sheet metal. We're European refugees, got out before somebody ran a truck over us, and sold all my good welding stuff over there because the current is 50hz in France, incompatible with the 60hz here.

So now I need a MIG. I was considering just going to Harbor Freight for one. I don't like flux core, prefer real gas so I can use SS wire too. Why SS? I just like the look. I know it's not quite as strong.

What's a good starter MIG, 220v of course. It doesn't have to be heavy, .08 mm (.003") wire is enough.

G-manbart

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Millermatic 252, Syncrowave 250DX, Miller Dialarc 250, Hobart Champion Elite, Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
It really depends on your budget more than anything. As a general all-around starter machine with a lot of capability, reasonable price, and small footprint, the Miller Millermatic 211 is a great choice. As a nice benefit it's dual-voltage 110/220V which can be handy at times. If you want a bit of a jump in size (ability to use larger spools of wire) and a bit more power without spending a lot more money, Hobart's IronMan 230 is a great choice....it's essentially Miller's older Millermatic 200 in slightly modified form. There are lots of choices out there, but those two are models you rarely see a bad word about, and welders love to complain!

eth555

Good Post Points
Welder
Titanium 200
Check out the Titanium line of welders from Harbor Freight, I have the Ultimate 200. The Titanium is middle of the road, with the Vulcan welders being higher end. I really had a hard time deciding between the Titanium and the Vulcan, but the Titanium came with a TIG torch and had to add it on to the Vulcan Omni Pro. Both line of welders has had good reviews. You can add spool gun to both. I added the extra 2-year warranty on the welder it was a decent price and instead of sending it in for repair like most other welders Harbor Freight just exchanges it out if you have a problem with it; which to me is a plus.

Always check https://www.hfqpdb.com/ for coupons, you can enter in the sku number of the item you want and it will show current coupons.

cdrill

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211
I have a Miller 211, it's a great machine for small projects. It can do 1/4" in a single pass, run on 220, or 110 with smaller wire, and will accept a spool gun for aluminum.

CB

Good Post Points
My sons and I do hobby and ranch welding. Currently I'm hung up on a repair to the floorboard of our classic Bullnose Ford because I only have a stick welder. I don't like flux core, prefer real gas so I can use SS wire too. What's a good starter MIG, 220v of course. It doesn't have to be heavy, .08 mm (.003") wire is enough.

Just one answer so far, good info. I wonder how many are there of us here now?

You had me at "howdy."

Two months ago, there were 0 members. One month ago, there were 300 members. Today, there are over 3,000 members.

I was going to answer your original post earlier, but the wire diameters you want to weld with are so tiny that I have no experience with them. Just guessing, I seriously doubt that 220v is necessary, or even advisable. I'm thinking a bic lighter might be good enough to melt ".08 mm (.003") wire! :p

Seriously, though, if you are looking at .8mm or .030 wire feed welding stainless steel with "real gas", then be sure and budget for at least two bottles of that gas, because the gas needed to weld up the floor board in the Ford bullnose (C25) will have way too much carbon dioxide in it to weld stainless steel and maintain the corrosion resistant properties of the stainless. Any more than 5% C02 will unfavorably react with the SS in the plasma state, resulting in oxidation. So regardless of which welding machine you pick, budget for at least two different mixes of shielding gas.

California

Good Post Points
Just one answer so far, good info. I wonder how many are there of us here now?
Running my cursor over your name I see:
/members/RenoHuskerDu.2587

Actually now that I'm drafting a reply, I see I'm quoting 'member: 2587'.

I think that tells the story. :)

Added: CB, where did you find the number?

Last edited:

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I got a great deal on a Hobart Handler 190 just a couple days ago. They have a good warranty and are supposed to have great CS. I tried some welds with it yesterday and was amazed at how hot the machine runs. I'm used to 110v machines. It works great on 22 gauge and I'm glad because I have 3 vehicles in need of sheet metal repair. The spots on top are my first with the Hobart. The others are from a 110v machine I was trying to dial in. Second pic shows how well the Hobart penetrates. Best of luck with your decision. 20200512_190234.jpg20200512_190245.jpg

Abrnth3

Good Post Points
Welder
miller matic 250, Eastwood 200
My sons and I do hobby and ranch welding. Currently I'm hung up on a repair to the floorboard of our classic Bullnose Ford because I only have a stick welder. That's good for ranch projects but not sheet metal. We're European refugees, got out before somebody ran a truck over us, and sold all my good welding stuff over there because the current is 50hz in France, incompatible with the 60hz here.

So now I need a MIG. I was considering just going to Harbor Freight for one. I don't like flux core, prefer real gas so I can use SS wire too. Why SS? I just like the look. I know it's not quite as strong.

What's a good starter MIG, 220v of course. It doesn't have to be heavy, .08 mm (.003") wire is enough.
Eastwood has some real great products at a low price range. They really stand behind their product with a great volume of training videos on youtube.

RenoHuskerDu

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln stick, so far
>Seriously, though, if you are looking at .8mm or .030 wire feed

Didn't a decimal place error destroy the Enterprise, Hindenberg and Titanic? LOL, thanks. Yes I know about different gas for SS, we have a good gas shop not too far away, it's where I'm shopping for a Miller.

Until I noticed this Everlast iMIG 275S used one locally for $1100 with attachments and some consumables. But I've never heard of Everlast. I was considering a Miller 252 or 255. I hear Pulsed spatters less so that seems like a plus.

Update, I just spent some time on goolagtube looking into Pulsed and I think I'll go for it. A 255 costs more than a 252 or even a 212.

Back to the Everlast, is it a decent starter welder? I have a call into them to make sure it's not made in China. I don't much like digital meters. Good old analog would be better for my eyes. But it appears that with pulsed there is more to monitor and even Miller uses digital displays.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I need to activate Watch on this thread.

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln stick, so far
Saw a couple vids about pulse now. I always hated those little tick bugs to grind off.
Looks like if I want pulsed, it's not gonna be Harbor Freight. It's Miller 255 time, or maybe the Everlast iMIG 275P

Dang, is this guy good or wut? Pulse MIG on goolagtube Everlast 253 Dpi tried out for first time.

Last edited:

RenoHuskerDu

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln stick, so far
Just got a call back from Everlast. Made in CHINA. And the sales rep tried to apply pressure. LOL, I'm a retired marketer, I know pressure generates bad customer relations. No thank you.

Miller on the other hand was honest. Most of the control boards are made in China, but the rest is made in USA. Waiting to hear back from my local Miller dealer, and looking for the Lincoln phone number....

UPDATE, Lincoln says its welders are Made in USA, even the little $300 stick units you see at Lowes or Home Despot.
MADE IN USA is my new motto.

Last edited:
Good Post Points
Welder
Eastwood mig 250
Before all this crap went down in our nation, I bought an eastwood 250a mig welder. Best warranty of the big companies. I had an issue with it 3 years after I bought it, called them up and they sent a new one out without question. Literally a 5 minute phone call. I sent the other one back FREE. I converted mine to run 44lb spools instead of the 10lb. I've ran 30 spools through the old one and the issue I had was not with the feed motor. I have 18 ran through this one and it is flawless. Great company and a great machine hands down.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Just got a call back from Everlast. Made in CHINA. And the sales rep tried to apply pressure. LOL, I'm a retired marketer, I know pressure generates bad customer relations. No thank you.

Miller on the other hand was honest. Most of the control boards are made in China, but the rest is made in USA. Waiting to hear back from my local Miller dealer, and looking for the Lincoln phone number....

UPDATE, Lincoln says its welders are Made in USA, even the little $300 stick units you see at Lowes or Home Despot.
MADE IN USA is my new motto.
Not sure "How Honest" Miller was with you. Fact is Miller is only "assembled" in the USA. No-one manufactures a welder in America. All are imports and China has good and bad manufacturers. You could still be on the right track though. Get the best that the budget allows. You will Love the Pulsed Mig world ! Good Luck !

CB

Good Post Points
No-one manufactures a welder in America.
All are imports
and China has good and bad manufacturers.

"No one"?
"All"?

Absolutism is the first alert to fallacy.

Let's take a look at some Welding Machine Manufacturing Reality...

Most of my welding machines were manufactured by Lincoln Electric, in the USA, but my machines are all 20 years old or older, so in order to be fair to the question today in 2020..
LincolnManufacturingUSA3.jpg
Does Lincoln Electric still have manufacturing facilities in the United States? Check. Yup. Looks like they do.

From the 2019 Lincoln Electric Annual Report:

ITEM 2. PROPERTIES

The Company's corporate headquarters and principal United States manufacturing facilities are located in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Total Cleveland area property consists of 244 acres, of which present manufacturing facilities comprise an area of approximately 3,017,090 square feet.

All properties relating to the Company's Cleveland, Ohio headquarters and manufacturing facilities are owned by the Company. The Company believes that its existing properties are in good condition and are suitable for the conduct of its business.

The Company has 59 manufacturing facilities, (including operations and joint ventures in 18 countries), the significant locations of which are as follows:

United States:

Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Coldwater, Ohio (Coldwater Machine Company)
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Mason, Ohio (Harris)
Mentor, Ohio
San Diego, California
Anaheim, California
Reno, Nevada
Ladson, South Carolina
Winston-Salem, North Carolina (Harris Products) (Worthington Industries)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Detroit, Michigan (Baker Industries)
FortCollins, Colorado
Bettendorf, Iowa
Churubusco, Indiana
Gainesville, Georgia (Harris)

Facilities are great... but is anything going on inside theses millions of square feet of manufacturing space in America?

LincolnManufacturingUSA1.jpg

LincolnManufacturingUSA2.jpg

Yep. Looks like the lights are still on, and Lincoln is seeking to fill several manufacturing jobs employing American workers today, despite the Stay At Home shut downs of the COVID-19 Pandemic, and now the civil unrest.

So what is Lincoln Electric so busy manufacturing with all these USA employees and manufacturing facilities, and who are they selling the stuff to?

LINCOLN ELECTRIC HOLDINGS, INC.
NOTES TO CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm
NOTE 6 - SEGMENT INFORMATION
Pages F-18, F-22

The Company's primary business is the design, development and manufacture of arc welding products, automated joining, assembly and cutting systems, plasma and oxy-fuel cutting equipment.

The Company also has a leading global position in brazing and soldering alloys.The Company's products include arc welding power sources, plasma cutters, wire feeding systems, robotic welding packages, integrated automation systems, fume extraction equipment, consumable electrodes, fluxes and welding accessories and specialty welding consumables and fabrication.
The Company's product offering also includes CNC plasma and oxy-fuel cutting systems and regulators and torches used in oxy-fuel welding, cutting and brazing.

The Company has aligned its organizational and leadership structure into three operating segments to support growth strategies and enhance the utilization of the Company's worldwide resources and global sourcing initiatives. The operating segments consist of Americas Welding, International Welding and The Harris Products Group.

The Americas Welding segment includes welding operations in North and South America. The International Welding segment includes welding operations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. The Harris Products Group includes the Company's global cutting, soldering and brazing businesses as well as its retail business in the United States.

Export sales (excluding inter-company sales) from the United States were $147,145,000 in 2019, $160,064,000 in 2018 and $151,630,000 in 2017. No individual customer comprised more than 10% of the Company's total revenues for any of the three years ended December 31, 2019.

If the independent registered public accounting firm's attestation to the Securities and Exchange Commission is to be believed, then it looks like Lincoln Electric manufactured and exported $150 million dollars worth of welding stuff from the United States last year. So clearly someone is manufacturing welding stuff in the United States. Which is more than "no one."

And I think it is cool that @RenoHuskerDu wants to buy a new welder made in the United States, employing USA workers, built by a company originating and still headquartered in the United States, that has been in business in the United States for 125 years.

Now the argument is sure to arise... are Lincoln welding machines actually MADE in the USA, or just ASSEMBLED in the USA with Chinese parts. Like Miller. And that's a fair question. Let's strike that arc.

At the Cleveland manufacturing facility, Lincoln Electric does everything from designing, soldering, and potting the PC boards to bending and forming the sheet metal that serves as the chassis and covers to the machines that Lincoln builds there. In fact, the last customer service rep at Lincoln I spoke to over the phone used to be bend brake operator on Lincoln's manufacturing plant floor. He tells me that Lincoln imports only 1 PC board from China, and that is a board for the price competitive entry level Lincoln Squarewave 200 tig machine, the rest of which is Made in Mexico.

However, all of the Precision Tig series of professional transformer Tig welders are made in the USA, along with all of the Power Wave series, the Aspect inverter series, the engine driven Ranger series, as well as the top of the line Vantage series. This includes the circuit boards to these products.

The Power Mig 350MP, also Made in the USA, is not only a pulse mig machine, but also has proprietary "pulse on pulse" waveforms, as well as push pull gun capabilities. Furthermore, the Powermig 350 MP can serve as a stick welder, since it is both a constant current and constant voltage power supply. The arc characteristics of this machine as a stick welder can change from soft and buttery to crisp and digging. In addition to Mig, Pulsed Mig, Push Pull Mig, and Stick welding, the PM350MP can also be set up as Tig welder. All in the same machine. (Hence the MP designation, for "Multi Process").

There is a successor to the Power Mig 350MP, that Lincoln calls the Powermig 360MP. The 360 has all of the features and capabilities of the 350 it supersedes, and adds several more operator interaction features like a 7" touch screen, and a memory for previous procedure settings. However, unlike the 350, which is made in the USA, the newer 360 is now made in Mexico, along with every other PowerMig machine that Lincoln currently manufactures.

So while @Yomax4 may have thought, while reading up to this point, that this entire post was in refutation to his claim, in fact, what he says is partly true for smaller entry level MIG machines. It was just not absolutely true. The majority of small wire feeders are made in countries other than the United States. And all of Lincoln Electric's smaller mig machines are now made in Mexico, with the exception of the Power Mig 350 MP (I have this welding machine). Again, the larger industrial Mig set ups, like the Power Waves, and the family of wire drive feeders that are separate from the power supplies, are Made in the USA. But not the smaller migs with the power supply + wire feeder in the same cabinet (except the PM300 and PM350MP).

And to complete the discussion of country of origin for Lincoln welding machines, the Invertec series are made in Italy, and the round top engine drives, such as the Classic and SAE series, are made in Canada. Still, Lincoln Electric keeps the manufacturing of its flagship welding machines, like the Vantage, the Ranger, the Aspect, the PowerWave, the Precision Tig, etc... close to the vest, on the corporate headquarters campus, in Cleveland, Ohio.

And it looks like they're hiring!

RenoHuskerDu

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln stick, so far
Not sure "How Honest" Miller was with you. Fact is Miller is only "assembled" in the USA. No-one manufactures a welder in America. All are imports and China has good and bad manufacturers. You could still be on the right track though. Get the best that the budget allows. You will Love the Pulsed Mig world ! Good Luck !

Do you have any sites I could look at that detail how much of Millers are from China?

I'm sure that China makes some good stuff. But I'm not patronizing evil communist dictators any more. Any company above a certain size is run by the CCP there.

I'll muddle my way thru as best I can and reduce consumption of Chinese items towards zero. We need our manufacturing jobs back home. When we do that, we'll benefit from more modern factories too. Just as did Eastern Europe after rebuilding from their Iron Curtain days. Look at all the good ammo, for example, coming out of Eastern Europe. State of the art factories. Same thing with vinyl windows, when I lived in France. All the best come from the East, at great prices. Spotless modern factories.

We must do the same here. The next tiff with China, they'll cut off our medicine.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
"No one"?
"All"?

Absolutism is the first alert to fallacy.

Let's take a look at some Welding Machine Manufacturing Reality...

Most of my welding machines were manufactured by Lincoln Electric, in the USA, but my machines are all 20 years old or older, so in order to be fair to the question today in 2020..
View attachment 1016
Does Lincoln Electric still have manufacturing facilities in the United States? Check. Yup. Looks like they do.

From the 2019 Lincoln Electric Annual Report:

ITEM 2. PROPERTIES

The Company's corporate headquarters and principal United States manufacturing facilities are located in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Total Cleveland area property consists of 244 acres, of which present manufacturing facilities comprise an area of approximately 3,017,090 square feet.

All properties relating to the Company's Cleveland, Ohio headquarters and manufacturing facilities are owned by the Company. The Company believes that its existing properties are in good condition and are suitable for the conduct of its business.

The Company has 59 manufacturing facilities, (including operations and joint ventures in 18 countries), the significant locations of which are as follows:

United States:

Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Coldwater, Ohio (Coldwater Machine Company)
Fort Loramie, Ohio
Mason, Ohio (Harris)
Mentor, Ohio
San Diego, California
Anaheim, California
Reno, Nevada
Ladson, South Carolina
Winston-Salem, North Carolina (Harris Products) (Worthington Industries)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Detroit, Michigan (Baker Industries)
FortCollins, Colorado
Bettendorf, Iowa
Churubusco, Indiana
Gainesville, Georgia (Harris)

Facilities are great... but is anything going on inside theses millions of square feet of manufacturing space in America?

View attachment 1017

View attachment 1018

Yep. Looks like the lights are still on, and Lincoln is seeking to fill several manufacturing jobs employing American workers today, despite the Stay At Home shut downs of the COVID-19 Pandemic, and now the civil unrest.

So what is Lincoln Electric so busy manufacturing with all these USA employees and manufacturing facilities, and who are they selling the stuff to?

LINCOLN ELECTRIC HOLDINGS, INC.
NOTES TO CONSOLIDATED FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
Report of Independent Registered Public Accounting Firm
NOTE 6 - SEGMENT INFORMATION
Pages F-18, F-22

The Company's primary business is the design, development and manufacture of arc welding products, automated joining, assembly and cutting systems, plasma and oxy-fuel cutting equipment.

The Company also has a leading global position in brazing and soldering alloys.The Company's products include arc welding power sources, plasma cutters, wire feeding systems, robotic welding packages, integrated automation systems, fume extraction equipment, consumable electrodes, fluxes and welding accessories and specialty welding consumables and fabrication.
The Company's product offering also includes CNC plasma and oxy-fuel cutting systems and regulators and torches used in oxy-fuel welding, cutting and brazing.

The Company has aligned its organizational and leadership structure into three operating segments to support growth strategies and enhance the utilization of the Company's worldwide resources and global sourcing initiatives. The operating segments consist of Americas Welding, International Welding and The Harris Products Group.

The Americas Welding segment includes welding operations in North and South America. The International Welding segment includes welding operations in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. The Harris Products Group includes the Company's global cutting, soldering and brazing businesses as well as its retail business in the United States.

Export sales (excluding inter-company sales) from the United States were $147,145,000 in 2019, $160,064,000 in 2018 and $151,630,000 in 2017. No individual customer comprised more than 10% of the Company's total revenues for any of the three years ended December 31, 2019.

If the independent registered public accounting firm's attestation to the Securities and Exchange Commission is to be believed, then it looks like Lincoln Electric manufactured and exported $150 million dollars worth of welding stuff from the United States last year. So clearly someone is manufacturing welding stuff in the United States. Which is more than "no one."

And I think it is cool that @RenoHuskerDu wants to buy a new welder made in the United States, employing USA workers, built by a company originating and still headquartered in the United States, that has been in business in the United States for 125 years.

Now the argument is sure to arise... are Lincoln welding machines actually MADE in the USA, or just ASSEMBLED in the USA with Chinese parts. Like Miller. And that's a fair question. Let's strike that arc.

At the Cleveland manufacturing facility, Lincoln Electric does everything from designing, soldering, and potting the PC boards to bending and forming the sheet metal that serves as the chassis and covers to the machines that Lincoln builds there. In fact, the last customer service rep at Lincoln I spoke to over the phone used to be bend brake operator on Lincoln's manufacturing plant floor. He tells me that Lincoln imports only 1 PC board from China, and that is a board for the price competitive entry level Lincoln Squarewave 200 tig machine, the rest of which is Made in Mexico.

However, all of the Precision Tig series of professional transformer Tig welders are made in the USA, along with all of the Power Wave series, the Aspect inverter series, the engine driven Ranger series, as well as the top of the line Vantage series. This includes the circuit boards to these products.

The Power Mig 350MP, also Made in the USA, is not only a pulse mig machine, but also has proprietary "pulse on pulse" waveforms, as well as push pull gun capabilities. Furthermore, the Powermig 350 MP can serve as a stick welder, since it is both a constant current and constant voltage power supply. The arc characteristics of this machine as a stick welder can change from soft and buttery to crisp and digging. In addition to Mig, Pulsed Mig, Push Pull Mig, and Stick welding, the PM350MP can also be set up as Tig welder. All in the same machine. (Hence the MP designation, for "Multi Process").

There is a successor to the Power Mig 350MP, that Lincoln calls the Powermig 360MP. The 360 has all of the features and capabilities of the 350 it supersedes, and adds several more operator interaction features like a 7" touch screen, and a memory for previous procedure settings. However, unlike the 350, which is made in the USA, the newer 360 is now made in Mexico, along with every other PowerMig machine that Lincoln currently manufactures.

So while @Yomax4 may have thought, while reading up to this point, that this entire post was in refutation to his claim, in fact, what he says is partly true for smaller entry level MIG machines. It was just not absolutely true. The majority of small wire feeders are made in countries other than the United States. And all of Lincoln Electric's smaller mig machines are now made in Mexico, with the exception of the Power Mig 350 MP (I have this welding machine). Again, the larger industrial Mig set ups, like the Power Waves, and the family of wire drive feeders that are separate from the power supplies, are Made in the USA. But not the smaller migs with the power supply + wire feeder in the same cabinet (except the PM300 and PM350MP).

And to complete the discussion of country of origin for Lincoln welding machines, the Invertec series are made in Italy, and the round top engine drives, such as the Classic and SAE series, are made in Canada. Still, Lincoln Electric keeps the manufacturing of its flagship welding machines, like the Vantage, the Ranger, the Aspect, the PowerWave, the Precision Tig, etc... close to the vest, on the corporate headquarters campus, in Cleveland, Ohio.

And it looks like they're hiring!
Not much I don't know about Lincoln. I used to work there. I've been to all of the USA facilities and worked for JW Harris before they were acquired by Lincoln. They list their manufacturing plants in the USA but source their equipment from Italy, Mexico and their China plants ( Plural on the China Plants ) . They make a crap load of filler metals and sheet metal, paint and decals as well as Sub-Arc equipment, gas apparatus and Welding and cutting automation. They have new plasma automation products now too but they don't make it. They can claim the Torchmate cutting tables due to buying the company. Same with soldering, brazing and aluminum extrusion due to purchasing JW Harris..They do make a lot of stuff but not much for actual "Welders". Hard to take I know. I'm not liking it either. This is not new news it's actually 8-10 years now.

Last edited:

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Do you have any sites I could look at that detail how much of Millers are from China?

I'm sure that China makes some good stuff. But I'm not patronizing evil communist dictators any more. Any company above a certain size is run by the CCP there.

I'll muddle my way thru as best I can and reduce consumption of Chinese items towards zero. We need our manufacturing jobs back home. When we do that, we'll benefit from more modern factories too. Just as did Eastern Europe after rebuilding from their Iron Curtain days. Look at all the good ammo, for example, coming out of Eastern Europe. State of the art factories. Same thing with vinyl windows, when I lived in France. All the best come from the East, at great prices. Spotless modern factories.

We must do the same here. The next tiff with China, they'll cut off our medicine.
i'm with you on the latest anti China mentality. all anyone has to do is go to their Local welding Supply and ask to see the boxes that the welders actually come in. You will see for your self. Pretty clear on the labels. Lincoln has the most distribution and plants to choose from but they are also very good at hiding where the stuff comes from.

Yomax4

Good Post Points

last I looked ( because I really don't care ) the Miller 141 through Bobcat was assembled in USA. Certainly more by now and Assembled in USA includes Smith Gas apparatus. They have removed their USA flag from all of their equipment as far as I have noticed.

Last edited:

CB

Good Post Points
Not much I don't know about Lincoln. I used to work there. I've been to all of the USA facilities and worked for JW Harris before they were acquired by Lincoln. They list their manufacturing plants in the USA but source their equipment from Italy, Mexico and their China plants ( Plural on the China Plants ) . They make a crap load of filler metals and sheet metal, paint and decals as well as Sub-Arc equipment, gas apparatus and Welding and cutting automation. They have new plasma automation products now too but they don't make it. They can claim the Torchmate cutting tables due to buying the company. Same with soldering, brazing and aluminum extrusion due to purchasing JW Harris..They do make a lot of stuff but not much for actual "Welders". Hard to take I know. I'm not liking it either. This is not new news it's actually 8-10 years now.

Before I posted, I called Lincoln Electric this morning (not 8 to 10 years ago) in order to get clear and specific clarification on the country of origin of models of machines identified by name that are available for purchase in the United States.

It is actually quite easy to take the truth and accept accurate, factual, up to date, and relevant information.

It is much harder to take generalizations and inference. Just because Lincoln has manufacturing plants in China, doesn't mean that the PowerWave S350 is manufactured in China, nor does it mean that any part of an AirVantage is manufactured in Turkey, just because Lincoln owns a manufacturing facility there, and the labor is cheaper there.

The OP was specifically interested in a pulsed Mig machine manufactured in the United States of America that can run .030 solid wire and gas. And I found that Lincoln Electric indeed still offers such a machine, that was still manufactured in the United States, and prior to calling I already suspected this because I happen to own that machine, and have been inside the cabinet several times. In the course of verifying whether the machine I own is still made in the USA (during the phone call this morning) I found out that the successor machine, the Power Mig 360MP, is made in Mexico, along with the younger brother Power Mig 260. This is the type of specific model to model information that might be useful to the OP when making a decision.

Just because Lincoln also sources equipment from Italy (the Invertec line of welders) doesn't mean that every Lincoln welder has Italian parts.