New oxy propane setup

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
I am slowly expanding my farm shop setup. This week I added an oxy propane torch to the shop. Victor torch with the edge 2 gauges. I went with propane because I always have tanks so I wouldnt have to buy an acetylene tank, and it is cheap to fill. I know it uses more oxygen, but just made more sense for my little shop...

First project was cutting out a t post pulling plate to hang from my boom pole to rip out some old fences.

Attachments

• 20201109_092954.jpg
    20201109_092954.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 15

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
You're going to make. me pull the trigger on going with propane. There are too many reasons to do it. I don't think it's necessarily cheaper. The acetylene cost reduction would probably be made up for in oxygen costs. But there aren't any worries about withdrawal rates. The propane has multiple uses. It's readily available 7 days a week if a tank was to go empty. I think I'm going to look into the propane.

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
You're going to make. me pull the trigger on going with propane. There are too many reasons to do it. I don't think it's necessarily cheaper. The acetylene cost reduction would probably be made up for in oxygen costs. But there aren't any worries about withdrawal rates. The propane has multiple uses. It's readily available 7 days a week if a tank was to go empty. I think I'm going to look into the propane.

For the initial up front cost, the propane kit was more expensive, but I did not have to buy the acetylene tank...that was a big factor for me...for occasional use, I think it will be a great fit for me.

I did look at oxy acetylene setups for sale on facebook, but I was just too scared to drop that much money and risk buying rental tanks or regulators that had been dropped...for a me buying new was the best option.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
For the initial up front cost, the propane kit was more expensive, but I did not have to buy the acetylene tank...that was a big factor for me...for occasional use, I think it will be a great fit for me.

I did look at oxy acetylene setups for sale on facebook, but I was just too scared to drop that much money and risk buying rental tanks or regulators that had been dropped...for a me buying new was the best option.
Well you're set up now.. Plus the tips are easier to clean and you can stand off the cut and stay out of the puddle. You can light both gases at the same time on the lower pressures. The alternate fuels really only use more oxygen during pre-heat and that's negligible. I keep some acetylene around for my spray powder and brazing needs. Mostly small tip stuff on the brazing. Enjoy the new setup.

Old Irish

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln SW200,PowerMig 180, A/C225 with rectifier, 2 Chinese plasma, stick, tig- 1-Chinese stick w/hot start&arc force and 1 Chinese 205A mig
CPU, you will probably love it. I bought a oxy-lp rig for my shop a couple of years ago and have been pretty happy with it, happy enough that I gave two oxy-acetylene rigs away along with the tanks. I do have one of the rigs in storage while the guy works on his shop but the tanks are empty. I don't cut with it much but when I do it works really slick for me. I use it mostly for heating parts to be reshaped and for shaping round stock. the last job I used it for was on the mounting for a loader bucket and it did a fine job for me. I went LP for the same reason mentioned before, availability. I live in the middle of nowhere and even though I can get the LWS manager to get me something on a weekend day it is still over a hundred mile round trip and eats up over two hours where as I can run to a Ace and back in a hour. one thing I would have done different had I known how little I would use it would have been to have used a couple of smaller tanks instead of buying a hundred pound tank.
Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I dont know if the tips create a need for more oxygen or not, but I do know that it takes a little longer to preheat before you can start to cut when using MAPP gas, propane or any other liquid type for oxy-fuel torches. If I remember correctly, they also create a bit more slag on the cut than when using acetylene. I have a tip somewhere and a propane bottle so I might give it a try later.

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
I dont know if the tips create a need for more oxygen or not, but I do know that it takes a little longer to preheat before you can start to cut when using MAPP gas, propane or any other liquid type for oxy-fuel torches. If I remember correctly, they also create a bit more slag on the cut than when using acetylene. I have a tip somewhere and a propane bottle so I might give it a try later.

One difference is the grade of hose. From what I read, propane has more oils and can cause hose dry rot...so you have to have T grade hoses. Also, if your gauges have a rubber diaphragm it would need to be rated for LP.

cpufixerjr

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
All,

Thanks for the wonderful comments and discussion...I figured Inwould be an oddball by going propane.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
So all that I've read about more oxygen consumption is true, but more than likely the amount is exaggerated in my mind?
Not sure but if you look at the cut charts for acetylene and alternate fuels the settings are very similar. All around savings are crazy though.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Propylene if I remember right, For the same price as acetylene would last 3x longer. Still, acetylene has strong staying power. We would go to end users and show the benefits of alternate fuels and the savings they create. The customer would always switch. Stop back a couple months later and they were back on acetylene again. We would ask what happened and they would always say I don't know.. lol...

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Somebody check my math. I'm coming up with a 20 pound cylinder being about 150³ft. At 4 to 1, I would probably have to fill my 80³ft oxygen cylinder 7 or 8 times before the propane was gone.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Somebody check my math. I'm coming up with a 20 pound cylinder being about 150³ft. At 4 to 1, I would probably have to fill my 80³ft oxygen cylinder 7 or 8 times before the propane was gone.
Pretty much so. Some would probably depend on rosebud use but the savings are real.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Nope. If the guys at the scrapyard are using propane, there has to be some benefit from using it.
Saving sure, but the scrap yard guys dont care about the quality of cut nor amount of slag produced. For my very slight use, acetylene works fine. I once bought a propane gas tip just in case I ran out of acetylene on a weekend or something. It's been in my welding tool box for nigh on to 10 years and still hasnt been out of the box.
Also, I think I am still on my second or maybe third bottle of acetylene in 10 years

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Seems like all of the large cutting tables are using some sort of alternate fuel instead of acetylene. I never really see any slag or dross issues unless they travel too fast or too slow. The nicest cuts I see are at an AGCO plant .They use oxygen and natural gas at about 4psi.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I have watched a few videos that discuss using propane. From what I can see, it's mostly down to the user. Some guys get cuts that you couldn't tell apart from acetylene. Some guys get it cut, but it looks closer to just melted. This discussion has me planning to go ahead and switch. There wouldn't be any harm in having the equipment around.

Besides, I search Craigslist a lot. Every now and then I'll run across an ad for a mobile home trailer frame someone is giving away. Between my small tanks and withdrawal rates, I really can't get it cut up into manageable pieces for loading. I believe propane would allow that if I can take a couple of oxygen tanks. I just keep thinking of reasons to do it. Seems like a win.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I have watched a few videos that discuss using propane. From what I can see, it's mostly down to the user. Some guys get cuts that you couldn't tell apart from acetylene. Some guys get it cut, but it looks closer to just melted. This discussion has me planning to go ahead and switch. There wouldn't be any harm in having the equipment around.

Besides, I search Craigslist a lot. Every now and then I'll run across an ad for a mobile home trailer frame someone is giving away. Between my small tanks and withdrawal rates, I really can't get it cut up into manageable pieces for loading. I believe propane would allow that if I can take a couple of oxygen tanks. I just keep thinking of reasons to do it. Seems like a win.
You can always sell off and switch back or like me, Have both. I keep acetylene for torch welding and critical brazing and spray powder repairs.