New plasma cutter going back for warranty work

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
My Everlast SuperUltra 206 SI just stopped working. It worked fine a week or so ago and then when I hooked it up yesterday, nothing. Well almost nothing. Got a very weak arc the after 2 seconds an error code E-05 and then arc dropped to almost invisible. Well what can you expect from a $700 machine that got used maybe an hour total since I got it June 18th.
I got it all boxed up and ready to ship to the repair facility. I have to pay shipping both ways for them to fix it and return it.

I sure hope this isnt a recurring problem. I am sure one of the circuit boards took a dump.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Well it is on it's way to the repair facility. UPS cheapest shipping cost $62 + return cost when they get it fixed.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Only 2 months of ownership, and you have to pay for a round trip? I would think they would send a return label, and have you pay shipping to return if it's not covered under warranty.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I had to pay at UPS and they said they would send me a paypal notice to pay for return shipping. Their warranty only covers parts and labor for 3 years.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Something beats nothing. It's better than the warranty on my welder. I traded somebody an old pickup for it. If it croaks, I'm in trouble.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The good thing about buying used (anything) is that most failures happen within a year of use. That means the original owner has taken the hit for repairs (yes even warrantied items cost you some time and money) to malfunctioning items. Just like my welder/plasma cutter that I suspect had a bad chip board that burned out within an hour of use, most computer like boards get burned in at the factory, if not they can fail fairly quickly and the original owner has to do the work and expense to get them fixed. Once you get the bugs worked out, usually a product will then last a long time.

\With welders, the old transformer type can hardly be broken but the inverters are very prone to failure. On one of my last jobs before I retired, a fab shop purchased all inverter welders to use TIG welding all the piping. They had about a 25% failure rate of the machines within a month of use per machine that were used 10 hours per day, 7 days per week. That was all circuit board failures due to poor quality control and craftmanship. A good transformer machine would have still been ticking years later.

Last edited:

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I guess I'm in a good place then. The welder was new in the box. The tape wasn't even broken. I was the first person outside of the factory to put fingerprints on it. And I'm 100% sure it's a transformer machine. The thing weighs about 50-60 pounds. So far it seems to be doing OK. I'm hoping it stays that way until I'm done with it.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I guess I'm in a good place then. The welder was new in the box. The tape wasn't even broken. I was the first person outside of the factory to put fingerprints on it. And I'm 100% sure it's a transformer machine. The thing weighs about 50-60 pounds. So far it seems to be doing OK. I'm hoping it stays that way until I'm done with it.
That must be a small machine if it only weighs 60 # and is a transformer. I bet my Miller weighs 200 or more.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I sure hope I get a good burned in control board this time. The first one lasted less than 1 hour of actual weld/cutting time before it crapped out

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Something beats nothing. It's better than the warranty on my welder. I traded somebody an old pickup for it. If it croaks, I'm in trouble.
I am not so sure about that. I just got the "bill" for repair. $50 for shipping and $45 packing fee, so that puts me just shy of $160 to repair a warrantied item. Likely could have paid a repair person locally to fix it for less IF they could find a Chinese part number to buy it.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Anyone want to buy a barely used DONT EVERLAST Plasma cutter / TIG / Stick machine "WITH WARRANTY"

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I bought this machine based on a lot of good reviews for it but no one has mentioned the "COST" for warranty work when they NEVERLAST.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
After my scorching email to Everlast customer service, they waived the shipping cost so there is that.

California

Good Post Points
My Everlast SuperUltra 206 SI just stopped working. ... Well what can you expect from a $700 machine that got used maybe an hour total
$50 for shipping and $45 packing fee, so that puts me just shy of $160 to repair a warrantied item.
After my scorching email to Everlast customer service, they waived the shipping cost so there is that.
Wow. Don't think I'll buy an 'EverLast'.

Its good to read you got them to back down on some of the charges for that warranty repair.

How the heck can they figure a $45 packing fee when the packing you used to send it in was obviously suitable, and likely still usable?

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I think I'll stick with second hand. I usually get by pretty good like that. Welding is just a hobby to me.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Wow. Don't think I'll buy an 'EverLast'.

Its good to read you got them to back down on some of the charges for that warranty repair.

How the heck can they figure a $45 packing fee when the packing you used to send it in was obviously suitable, and likely still usable?
I almost asked the same question but then thought better. It has been 3 weeks + since they received it so I am sure they destroyed my box with all the Styrofoam inserts when they received it to keep down the clutter. Machine likely got an inspection to find the problem then went on a shelf till they got the parts. Still that fee and the shipping is a bit overboard for warranty work.

They also likely didnt like the cover printing on the box, it was the box the Harbor Freight MIG 170 came in and their green machine fit perfectly. (HAHAHAHA)

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Scheduled delivery by UPS is Thursday, so looking forward to checking it out. I will sure do more than token welds / cuts this time to make sure it doesnt crap out like it did before. When I got it new, I hooked up the plasma, did maybe a foot of cutting on 3/8" plate, then hooked up the TIG a week or so later after I bought a bottle and did about 5 minutes of TIG. Next I hooked up the stick and burned a few 3/32" 7018 and found that it doesnt run 6010. It sat for about a month doing nothing then I tried to use the plasma and it wouldnt work at all.
Well we shall see. I hope they put a statement as to what they did to it, but that may be wishful thinking.

jhn9840

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 180c Lincoln Idealarc 250
Hobart 210i. A buddy of mine has one that burns 6010/7018’s quite nice. Paid around $500. Only thing I didn’t care for is the leads that it comes with are short like 10 foot. Duty cycle is 20% @210. He didn’t seem to have any issues with that.

jhn9840
John