New plasma cutter going back for warranty work

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The duty cycle on my Titanium is 10% IIRC, but I only caused it to shut down once.
A friend was welding some light wall at E6 and then went to heavy wall so I switched to I7(I is the highest setting) and it kicked off after about 30 seconds. It came back in in just a minute or so. It seems that the fan should keep running but it went off also. I fiddled with the circuit breaker and power cord connections a few seconds, found nothing but then it came back to life and we finished the welding project. First time it has ever done that and I have welded for long periods of time without a rest stop.
I lkely wont ever hit the limit on the Vulcan using the wire feeder, the duty cycle is too high for normal wire feed welding to do that.

California

Good Post Points
The duty cycle on my Titanium is 10% IIRC, but I only caused it to shut down once.
A friend was welding some light wall at E6 and then went to heavy wall so I switched to I7(I is the highest setting) and it kicked off after about 30 seconds. It came back in in just a minute or so. It seems that the fan should keep running but it went off also. I fiddled with the circuit breaker and power cord connections a few seconds, found nothing but then it came back to life and we finished the welding project. First time it has ever done that and I have welded for long periods of time without a rest stop.
I lkely wont ever hit the limit on the Vulcan using the wire feeder, the duty cycle is too high for normal wire feed welding to do that.
Titanium 125 or the 240V one?

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Titanium 125 or the 240V one?
The Titanium 125 cut off briefly but I am not sure it was overheated. It went completely dead, no overheat light just dead. It came back on a few seconds later. I must have bumped the cord(it was plugged into a heavy 20 foot cord. I thought it had tripped the 20 amp breaker but it was good. After thinking about it a bit, I dont believe it tripped the thermal overload since the fan quit working.
I have the Vulcan set up with .025 solid wire and the Titanium 125 with .030 flux wire. I havent had time to do any thing with them lately. I have been checking out the used car I got for my Grandson. It is a Buick Century 2003 with 190K on it but it purrs like a kitten. So far I just had to do an alignment and put on a new tire. It drives, shifts and rides really well for 17 year old car. I want to drive it around here for a few days to check it out further before heading out on the 4 hour drive to deliver it.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
My buddy and I experiment with the Vulcan a bit using the program setting and then cranking it up a lot but it never ran more than 120 amps at 490 IPM and 25 volts with the .025 wire. That setting was extremely hot and if I recall the manual (it is out in the shop so I cant consult it right now) 120 amps is 100% duty cycle.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Man this thread on TBN has really heated up, it is up to 8 pages and counting. Everlast must have gotten the slowest shipping rate possible. According to their records it shipped out around Sept 30 but as we all know, when they print out the shipping label for UPS, it is shipped. I think it sat around somewhere for a few days before being picked up by UPS. It is coming from somewhere in northern Tenn. and might be here tomorrow, 8 days for shipping from next door state. I get stuff from California in 3 days. Actually one of the lost packages I didnt receive was delivered (according to UPS) the following day after shipping. It was "delivered" before I got the email from the shipper stating shipped Oct 1 which I got on the 4th. UPS delivered it on the 2nd supposedly. I just cant believe a low ball shipper paid for next day air delivery when he is selling a locally price $200 item for $99.

California

Good Post Points
...coming from somewhere in northern Tenn. and might be here tomorrow, 8 days for shipping from next door state. I get stuff from California in 3 days. ...
Google says UPS's hubs are Louisville, Ky. (their main Global Air Hub), Philadelphia, Pa.; Dallas, Texas; Ontario, Calif.; Rockford, Ill.

I think everything that isn't UPS Ground goes through those hubs overnight, fast enough to go Out For Delivery next morning. So 3 days or less from California is believable.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Google says UPS's hubs are Louisville, Ky. (their main Global Air Hub), Philadelphia, Pa.; Dallas, Texas; Ontario, Calif.; Rockford, Ill.

I think everything that isn't UPS Ground goes through those hubs overnight, fast enough to go Out For Delivery next morning. So 3 days or less from California is believable.
But even ground freight for a 500 or so mile trip could go pack mule in less than 8 days.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Well I got my plasma cutter back from the shop. I had to send the plasma torch with it and I had just put in new electrode and nozzle. It came back with the most screwed up electrode I have ever seen and the nozzle looks like they have been doing about 100 pierce cuts with it. The electrode. looks just like a arced up tip from a FCAW torch, it is arc burned / melted almost 1/2" up from the tip and instead of being chrome plated looking, it has the appearance of very heated up copper. I can hardly believe a repair technician doing a "road test" of the machine could do that much damage to the electrode and nozzle

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Well I got the SuperUltra 206 SI back from repair and it still wont stick weld. Plasma works ok, TIG somewhat but doesnt seem to adjust the amperage above 75-100 amps. I sent our buddy Mark at Everlast a message about it to see if he can arrange a replacement with a better quality machine (at my cost).

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Well a friend helped me check out the SuperUltra 206 SI upon its return from the repair shop. IT DOESNT WORK!! Not only does it still not stick rod weld, the TIG function works, but just doesnt put more than about 100 amps even if you turn it up to 200. At a normal 100 amps it just will barely melt metal with the arc. I think the only reason the plasma semi works is because it only needs 40 amps to run.
It is going back again for repairs unless Everlast will offer me a different plasma rig in exchange Plus me paying the difference in cost. I am awaiting a reply from customer service.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I'll buy used Everlast. That way I have a chance of the previous owner having the bugs worked out!!!

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
The 206 is on its way back for another round of repairs. This time they sent a prepaid shipping label. I have asked if they can video the repair/ testing of the unit and let me see what they find prior to shipping it back. I also included the mangled electrode that came back with it so the technician can see what it looks like. There should only be an arc directly on the center of the electrode, not all up and down the sides.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I might have found some trouble. I ran across a Briggs and Stratton generator. 6250 running watts and 8500 starting for $150. I get it home and drain the sweet tea (gas) that was in it, and put in a little fresh petrol. The engine started on the third pull and purred like a kitten. The hour meter showed 12.7 hours. I plugged an angle grinder in each of the 120V outlets and it was generating. With only 12 hours on it, I'll be the one to find out if it has any flaws I guess.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I might have found some trouble. I ran across a Briggs and Stratton generator. 6250 running watts and 8500 starting for $150. I get it home and drain the sweet tea (gas) that was in it, and put in a little fresh petrol. The engine started on the third pull and purred like a kitten. The hour meter showed 12.7 hours. I plugged an angle grinder in each of the 120V outlets and it was generating. With only 12 hours on it, I'll be the one to find out if it has any flaws I guess.
Great find. I would have taken a chance on that one too. Those B&S engines are known for bad carb issues but are easy and cheap to fix. It is amazing how many folks have now idea about how to replace/repair a carb on a small engine. As you found out, sometimes you get lucky and just need to replace the gas in the tank and it will start right up.
Sometimes you get real bargains when the wife is selling her husbands stuff and only knows what he said he paid for it.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
It was the husband that sold it. He said he bought the house and power outages were the norm. They stopped after he bought the generator. He was just getting rid of a lot of items that he had around the house. Basically cleaning out a storage shed. It was such a good deal that i decided to help him out. He had a lot of what was trash to him that he wanted gone. I politely threw all of it in the truck and took care of it for him. I felt like I still owed him something for the generator. It was a great deal.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
My wife doesn't have a clue what I have or what I paid for it. It'll never make it in the house. I come in the front door, go out the side door, and into the garage it goes!!! If it's an online order, I beat her to the mailbox!!!

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
My wife has no clue as to what I have nor how much it cost. I can add all kinds of tools and she cant tell what I have other than "you have a lot of tools, you dont need any more".

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Everlast repair tech called to tell me he found nothing wrong with the machine other than a broken foot on the front cover plate from shipping damage. He did offer to replace the cover plate for the mere sum of $50 to which I declined. Just send me the broken piece back and I will epoxy it back on. I am not putting any more money into that machine. If it breaks again, it will go in the trash or Craigslist for some one else to work with.

Well now the rest of the story. After a few minutes of discussion, I suggested that he crank up the amp to max and try it since it sure wouldnt work for me after trying try the TIG and Plasma with limited sucess. He said he would try that. He called back a few minutes later to tell me that he found the problem. The main circuit board had a arc burn that allowed the circuit to work under low amps but shorted at high load. Cranking up the amps allowed him to experience the same issue I had where it would start at 125 and then drop to 10 amps. I guess it is coming back now.