Outdoor Art - Iron - Welder for a small project

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
I am looking at making a rectangular box with a Circular see through. I would use maybe 3/16 inch thick iron plate.

Was looking at a welder and wondered of the HF Flux 125 would give enough heat to weld the plates together?

These won't be supporting any weight, just a sculpture, maybe 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 6-8 inches deep. Not sure how I would do the round piece for the hole,
Maybe thinner iron bent into a circle and welded in.

First Welding job in many years and I don't know how much I will use it.

barts

Good Post Points
Welder
AC/DC stick, MIG, oxy/acy, spot welder
I'd buy a used Lincoln stick welder from Craiglist or similar if you have 220VAC 50A (will work for most jobs at 30A) available. Simple. cheap. low cost to run, and you can sell it what you paid for it if you end up not using it enough.

- Bart

bplayer405

Good Post Points
If you're talking about the Chicago Electric flux 125, its an AC output machine that would struggle with 3/16". I have one and it does ok on 1/8" or thinner. I also have the HF Titanium flux 125, which is a DC output and is a huge upgrade over the CE 125. The Titanium burns way hotter and will definitely weld 3/16". I've had success welding 5/16" at close to its max setting with Hobart E71T-11 wire. It welds good with Lincoln 211mp wire also. I haven't had it long, but, so far, its working great. Just my 2 cents...

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
I'd buy a used Lincoln stick welder from Craiglist or similar if you have 220VAC 50A (will work for most jobs at 30A) available. Simple. cheap. low cost to run, and you can sell it what you paid for it if you end up not using it enough.

- Bart
I have been looking for used, but it seems in my area people want close to new prices for used equipment

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
Thanks all, I think I know what I want to start, or at least look for. Now how to convince my SO that I can do this for less than I can buy it done !

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I have been looking for used, but it seems in my area people want close to new prices for used equipment
I also see that in some areas.
Some people think that to simply save the taxes on a 10+ year old item is a bargain.
LOL, being 'older and wiser' I know which suburbs to avoid on yard sale days..

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
If the sculpture itself is the box, 3/16 would be overkill. 3/16 plate weighs about 7.5lbs per sq, ft, and based on the dimensions you gave, if it has ends, it will be north of 150lbs.

Depending on what/where it will be being displayed, you might consider using.095 or .125 1" tube or angle iron as an internal frame, then use .095 flat stock as the outer skin. It would be a lot lighter, which means a lot cheaper, as well as easier to cut your hole in. You would likely be able to cut the hole using a scroll saw and a few metal blades. For the hole itself, depending on the size, you might be able to find some tube at your local steel supply shop, or bend your own using the some .095 flat stock and some heat. WIth the thinner material, the cheaper mig should be ok.

kenmbz

Good Post Points
Welder
none yet
If the sculpture itself is the box, 3/16 would be overkill. 3/16 plate weighs about 7.5lbs per sq, ft, and based on the dimensions you gave, if it has ends, it will be north of 150lbs.

Depending on what/where it will be being displayed, you might consider using.095 or .125 1" tube or angle iron as an internal frame, then use .095 flat stock as the outer skin. It would be a lot lighter, which means a lot cheaper, as well as easier to cut your hole in. You would likely be able to cut the hole using a scroll saw and a few metal blades. For the hole itself, depending on the size, you might be able to find some tube at your local steel supply shop, or bend your own using the some .095 flat stock and some heat. WIth the thinner material, the cheaper mig should be ok.
Thanks, actually saw some examples this weekend and they were totally in line with your suggestions. Much appreciated!

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Thanks, actually saw some examples this weekend and they were totally in line with your suggestions. Much appreciated!
Happy too, I got into welding to build stuff for off-road use, and have found in that hobby that many builders go much thicker steel plate and tube than needed, and end up with stuff weighing hundreds of pounds more than they need to.

Before you buy your steel, call some of the local fab shops in your area and see if they sell their scrap steel, you could probably find most of what you need that way, drop plate/scrap steel usually sells for a $1 or less per lb than new stuff.

Last edited: