Power & wire feed confusion

clyde1

Good Post Points
Welder
miller 185
I have a miller 185 welding machine. My question is my machine has 2 dials top one is power setting marked 1 2 3 4 5 6 The lower dial is wire speed and is marked 10 20 30 40 to 100. when I find a project the settings amps and wire speed in inches per minute . How do I tell what to set my machine at. Is there conversion chart some where I can use?

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
It looks like the 185 is a 60-195Amp machine, so the 135amp range is divided into 6 settings on the upper dial, which should make #1 on the dial is 60amps, #6 195amps, and #2-5 likely 25-30amp increments. The lower dial numbers are how many inches of wire is being fed per minute. The recommended settings are just a starting point, your hand speed will determine how you adjust the speed and amp levels for the material you are working with.

clyde1

Good Post Points
Welder
miller 185
It looks like the 185 is a 60-195Amp machine, so the 135amp range is divided into 6 settings on the upper dial, which should make #1 on the dial is 60amps, #6 195amps, and #2-5 likely 25-30amp increments. The lower dial numbers are how many inches of wire is being fed per minute. The recommended settings are just a starting point, your hand speed will determine how you adjust the speed and amp levels for the material you are working with.
Thank you for your help it was very helpfull.

California

Good Post Points
How do I tell what to set my machine at. Is there conversion chart some where I can use?
There might be a chart in the owner's manual if there's no decal with a chart.

If not, then the 'old school' solution was training by someone experienced. The equivalent today is watch several YouTube videos to learn what proper settings should sound like, and to see the effects of wrong settings to help you zero in on what the puddle and bead should look like.

CA_B's advice should get you close to ideal. From there, practice a lot! Soon you will have an instinct for what works.