Process to cutting an old propane tank

kayco53

Good Post Points
Welder
systematics
Not saying to do this way. But when I welded on a vw gas tank I filled with water and left it in. If you cutting it as soon as there is a decent hole it should not be a issue. When I worked in the refinery in vessels propane etc. they steamed them out and hot water.

Col.

Good Post Points
Welder
Bobcat
I ran across an old propane tank that somebody was giving away. Wanting to try my hand at putting a smoker on a trailer, I couldn't let it pass. The only problem is, I don't know the procedure to cut it safely. I have an uncle that tells me to fill it with dish soap and water and go to town. A friend that has done it says the same thing. I've read quite a few posts on the internet that say fill it with water, along with white a few posts of other methods.

Decided I would come here since I'm a member, and you all might love me enough to help me not blow myself into however many pieces I can possibly be separated into. Just looking for advice tip stay safe.

Never cut tank with out CO2 fill with gas using hose at bottom fill up with CO2 it will push any propane out. Then cut tank . Many life's have been lost cutting tanks the wrong way. You feal lucky ? You might get away with it ? I'm 70 years old and have cut too many tanks. This is the right way . Water I have had them pop ! I'm a EOD Army ret. There the best and safe way. your life don't end it. Propane will blow up even if it's 10 years old. Be safe and live old....

Good Post Points
I ran across an old propane tank that somebody was giving away. Wanting to try my hand at putting a smoker on a trailer, I couldn't let it pass. The only problem is, I don't know the procedure to cut it safely. I have an uncle that tells me to fill it with dish soap and water and go to town. A friend that has done it says the same thing. I've read quite a few posts on the internet that say fill it with water, along with white a few posts of other methods.

Decided I would come here since I'm a member, and you all might love me enough to help me not blow myself into however many pieces I can possibly be separated into. Just looking for advice tip stay safe.
fill with soapy water till it is totally full and water is running over fill valve leave set 2 days then strike match near valve you may get a light puff out fill valve. be sure tank was level so no voids in tank to trap gasses. then start cutting or drain then cut. just the way i do it and still here and 80 years old.

Good Post Points
Never cut tank with out CO2 fill with gas using hose at bottom fill up with CO2 it will push any propane out. Then cut tank . Many life's have been lost cutting tanks the wrong way. You feal lucky ? You might get away with it ? I'm 70 years old and have cut too many tanks. This is the right way . Water I have had them pop ! I'm a EOD Army ret. There the best and safe way. your life don't end it. Propane will blow up even if it's 10 years old. Be safe and live old....
another gov. 3 letter what is it?

Oliver 1555

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC stick, Lincoln 140 MIG, Lincoln 256 MIG, Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG
EOD Explosive Ordnance Disposal. My grandson is one. Very rigorous program! His class started with 26 and graduated six.

AKoz

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln MIG and stick
I washed one out with TSP then rinsed and cut no problems.
The second one I had laying horizontal and filled with CO2 from a fire extinguisher before cutting. I had to empty the extinguisher for another project anyways. Also no problem.
I wish I knew about propane being heavier than air. I would have done it differently with more confidence.

NeverEasy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I spent 4 years in Australia at Harold E. Holt Naval Station. Most roads were gravel. Holes in radiators and gas tanks were common. On my off-time, I worked for the local Ford Dealer. His method was to park a running vehicle near the gas tank. Put a hose in the exhaust and into the tank to be gas welded. Let it sit for 10 minutes and weld away. I have done it many times there and in the US. Never had a problem. A little scary on the first approach with a torch!

Sandy hill

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln

I have done it before by filling it up with water. The first cut from the torch has a bit of reaction but from there on it went smoothly.

RJFCO

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart, Miller, Lincoln
No need to wash out. If it's full of water, no oxygen, it can't explode. Just keep full, (duct tape as you go) and you'll live.

ttouring

Good Post Points
Welder
Chicago Electric

I have welded diesel fuel tanks with fuel in them. I would run the exhaust pipe into the fuel tank for about 30 minutes while doing other work. Once you get all the oxygen out it's no problem.

kinsler33

Good Post Points
Welder
Oxy acetylene and a Harbor Freight wire-feed arc welder
A skilled friend who ran a university machine shop refused to use a torch to cut a hole in a hot water heater tank that a faculty member brought in. He would simply not use a torch on _any_ tank.

Pancho$$

Good Post Points
Welder
Century 125GL MIG

No man sparks an flames ya know. Fill with water an cut with Saber Saw.

RetiredMike

Good Post Points
Welder
Unknown

Best way is to hook up an exhaust pipe to the tank and fill the tank with carbon monoxide from your vehicle's exhaust.

MrCreosote

Good Post Points
Welder
Oxy-Acetylene Aircraft Smiths Victor, Stick Miller Thunderbolt w/Rectifier box, MIG Power MIG, TIG KEMPPI
If you want to be 110% explosion safe, use a Sawzall w/12" blade and cut while full of water.

Once you have it cut open, if you can still smell the skunking, I'd build a bonfire and roast the pieces - lots of heat should get rid of that oil. (or use one of those million BTU propane torches - they are cheap at Harbor Freight but get the one with the spark ignitor.)

Another thought: I clean out the rust from a gas tank by strapping it to my cement mixer and putting a bucket of p-gravel in it. Did a remarkable job. Strapping a long propane tank might be difficult if it doesn't fit in the mixer bucket.

JohnBYB

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 187, Millermatic 175
Ok. After checking out you guys posts and talking to a few people, the jitters are just about gone. I guess not understanding will make for a little nervousness. Fill with water (and some soap to help clean) and slosh around. The water is heavier than the propane, therefore purging any leftover propane from the tank. Should be good for all the cutting I need to do after that. Thanks everybody. I'll get started on it soon. Will try to remember to start another thread and post pics.
Just remember to be careful. Safety Safety Safety Lets yo keep creating.

Crusader Fixer

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 250
Just remember to be careful. Safety Safety Safety Lets yo keep creating.
DO NOT monkey around with soap and water. I saw a vehicle gas tank get turned wrong side out with that "sure fire" method. Follow the previous posts and fill the tank with an inert gas. CO2 is probably least expensive of the purchased gasses. Make a friend in the heat and air business and borrow his explosive gases meter and check what's coming out as you purge. Continue to purge while cutting.
You only get to bugger this up ONCE.

Kenuto

Good Post Points
Welder
Red.

there is mercaptan in the bottom, a stinky liquid that gives the odorless gas a stinky. be sure that, if there is any, that you don't dump it near where you hang out. It lasts a very long time...