Project Cerakote

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 190
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and just wanted to share some projects. I retired 2 years ago and am always looking to learn something new. Cerakote is a ceramic coating primarily used on firearms.
So learning this process looks very intriguing to me, but first I needed a sand blasting cabinet. Cabinets that could hold rifle barrels were 1500+ then add on features I wanted weren't available all in one package, so I made one. Cost about 200, sheet, angle iron I had. This pistol was my first Cerakote project. It's an old spanish pistol worth 50-100 bucks-good practice material.
Thanks
IMG_3672.jpgIMG_3660.jpgIMG_3686.jpgIMG_3676.jpgIMG_3663.jpgIMG_3689.jpgIMG_3674.jpgIMG_3668.jpgIMG_3670.jpg

bergie

Good Post Points
Welder
miller
That gun turned out really nice.I like the looks of the sandblasting cabinet turned out really nice. I got a small one from freight works well for small things.

Sherwood

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart handler 140 , Harbor freight
Wow , that's a really pro looking job on the blaster, and the other blaster, keep up the great work.

AP

Good Post Points
Welder
miller maxstar 150
I've heard that Cerakote is some pretty poisonous stuff before it's cooked. How much hassle is it to work with?

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 190
I've heard that Cerakote is some pretty poisonous stuff before it's cooked. How much hassle is it to work with?
Cerakote is no more poisonous than any automotive type paint. Definitely need a respirator and I wear disposable gloves, long sleeve shirts. It sprays very similar to the old lacquer paints. I've built and painted a lot of salvage vehicles over the years.
Thanks
Dan

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 190
That gun turned out really nice.I like the looks of the sandblasting cabinet turned out really nice. I got a small one from freight works well for small things.
Thanks
Its still has all the rust pits, but it was a good first to start
I had look at the freight cabinet and thought it was too small and the larger ones were too expensive for my needs.

drb1215

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
If you only had a sandblasting cabinet to sandblast your parts used to build the sandblasting cabinet :) Very nice work on the cabinet and the cerakoting of the firearm!

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 190
If you only had a sandblasting cabinet to sandblast your parts used to build the sandblasting cabinet :) Very nice work on the cabinet and the cerakoting of the firearm!
I got the sheets metal from a neighbor who put it in his barn 20-30 yrs ago. He said he sprayed it with a good coat of WD40 then...Most of the rust came off with solvent prep and a little sanding.
Thanks