SEEKING OPINION-LINCOLN 135 or MILLER 130?

LINCOLN SP-135 PLUS OR MILLERMATIC 130XP

• MILLERMATIC 130XP

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edinottawa

Good Post Points
Welder
Canox
Folks, would appreciate an opinion on a couple of welding units. I ended up with two machines and will only keep one. I am a total newbie, less than 8 hours welding experience. Will use the machine infrequently for light repairs, occasional light fabricating. Expect not more than ¼” materials. I don’t do any repairs/welding on heavy-gauge metal (I have an experienced minion for that:). I want a portable machine that works on 110VAC as I have quick access to a large 300A/220V MIG welder if I ever need it. I also have an Argon setup that I will keep with the remaining welder.

Putting your brand loyalties aside, which one should I keep? Seems to me they are both pretty much the same but the weight difference between the two might be important?

Lincoln SP-135 Plus, 115V, Rated Output 90A @ 18V, 20% Duty Cycle at rated output, Range 25A-135A, Wire: .023-.025 Change tip for .030, Weight 54#

Miller Millermatic 130 XP, 115V, Rated Output 90A @ 18V, 20% Duty Cycle at rated output, Range 30-130A, Wire: .Specs say 023-.035 but the book mentions .045 elsewhere, Weight 69#,

California

Good Post Points
All I can say is try them both, keep what you like. I think on either, you would need to use at least a 20 amp circuit, likely a 30 amp 120 volt circuit (rare), to get the claimed maximum output.

If the weight is the only significant difference - that might make me choose the Lincoln cause I'm getting old. My 60+ lb HF Mig-180 is a nuisance to lift from floor to workbench now.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Spec wise, there is no difference in the machines. I would just weld with both and choose the one with the smoothest wire feed / best looking weld. Both brands are good. You might also consider which one has the closest dealer support for parts.

edinottawa

Good Post Points
Welder
Canox
Hello Gary, Thank you for the reply. I think that's good advice. Both machines are well supported by dealers up here. The Lincoln is newer and Millers are in high demand in these parts so I will also keep resale in mind. I'm going to try some welds with each.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Considering the weight difference I'd suspect the heavier unit to be the best choice.
I'd suspect the major difference to be the transformer in that it is probably copper vs aluminum windings.

With dissimilar metals corrosion is often a problem wherever there are connections.
I've seen that as a frequent problem on battery chargers that use aluminum wiring in the transformers.

It is all about cost and weight (shipping).
Also there is much info about aluminum household wiring with not much good being said.

edinottawa

Good Post Points
Welder
Canox
All I can say is try them both, keep what you like. I think on either, you would need to use at least a 20 amp circuit, likely a 30 amp 120 volt circuit (rare), to get the claimed maximum output.

If the weight is the only significant difference - that might make me choose the Lincoln cause I'm getting old. My 60+ lb HF Mig-180 is a nuisance to lift from floor to workbench now.
Thanks for the comments California!

edinottawa

Good Post Points
Welder
Canox
Considering the weight difference I'd suspect the heavier unit to be the best choice.
I'd suspect the major difference to be the transformer in that it is probably copper vs aluminum windings.

With dissimilar metals corrosion is often a problem wherever there are connections.
I've seen that as a frequent problem on battery chargers that use aluminum wiring in the transformers.

It is all about cost and weight (shipping).
Also there is much info about aluminum household wiring with not much good being said.
merci Piloon, c'est fort appréciée. Bonne Journée!

theebadboy2

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller and Hobart
Consider the weight for sure .. but sadly I would have looked into the 110/220 MTV ya never know when ya might need it and I always say if you have it great but if you need it and don't then your screwed ..lol .. have a great day and don't ponder on it too much .. do like I did and just buy both !