sheet metal mig welding

glmsas

Good Post Points
Welder
Titanium
I've done a good bit of welding over the years Stick, MIG on various projects mostly on thicker metal. I'm now restoring a older car and having to weld much thinner metal than ever.
I'm using .030 flux wire and it's is very difficult to butt weld 2 pieces together and not burn holes or leave a bunch of splatter. Most of my welds have pin holes all over and I often end up having to grind off lots of metal just trying to fill a little hole.
Any tips or tricks would help.
I've heard that using gas might help with .025 wire.also
thanks
gary

bplayer405

Good Post Points
It is possible with flux core wire, just so messy and cleanup is needed often during the process. That's once you get it dialed in and are getting good spot welds. First pic is after a lot of grinding 22 gauge using flux core. Second pic is same material with .030 solid wire using C25 shielding gas. I'm pretty new to it all myself, but learning. The right setup makes things easier for sure. Technique helps a lot also. I now make small "o"s when making spot welds. Helps them flatten and spread when done right. I own some older vehicles than definitely need sheet metal work. I'm looking forward to getting started. Keep practicing. 20200407_201226.jpg20200512_190234.jpg

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
Might pick up a 2lb roll of 0.025 flux wire and see if that doesn't work better for you, .030 can work, but IME you have to be dialed in with the machine and your hand speed,

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I've never seen 025 flux core but 023/025 solid wire with gas will get you as close as you can get on 22ga.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I've never seen 025 flux core but 023/025 solid wire with gas will get you as close as you can get on 22ga.
Ah man, you just killed the deal of the decade I thought I got on assorted rolls of 2lbs wire last Fall. The sign on the box said .025 & .030 flux core $10/ea(usually pay around $20), there was about 10-15 rolls in it, so I grabbed all of it for my 110 vlt machine. Your post made me go look through the box, and I guess I read the sign wrong, just the .030 is fux, fortunately, I only seen 3 rolls of .024. Should have known it was too good too be true, I do all of my welding outside and was looking forward to putting new floors in the '37 Plymouth I am restoring this summer. Guess I will see if the gas set-up for my 210MVP will work for the Handler 125, I don't really want to try and respool it, or use my spool gun.

Mike0000

Good Post Points
Welder
MiG
I started some repair panel welding on our old mini van. So far gas and .023 seems to work best, I tried .030 but it’s difficult not to burn holes in the thin body panels. I‘ve also found I need to jump around to keep from having too much heat build up which warps the panels.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Not that I do much body welding but when I have I borrowed ideas from my aviation background.
CLIKO sheet metal holders.
You drill 1/8 holes in overlapping panels every few inches and weld your way forward removing the clikos as you approach each one.
You'll be very pleased with the results.
A CLIKO is sort of like a temporary rivet so it holds your metal as you want it to be held while U work.