Attachments

• Screenshot_20210719-160306_Mercari.jpg
    Screenshot_20210719-160306_Mercari.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 20

California

Good Post Points
I upgraded. What a difference
What was the 'before'?

It's clearly more portable than a transformer welder but how else is it different?

You might convince me to retire the 1963 Monkey Wards welder that I've saved for heavy work ... but haven't used for several years.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
The difference between inverter and a 63 Wards is the new is DC. Really uses "professional" rods for out of position work on equipment, piping etc.

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
Professional rods? I'm getting more and more to the point that I will use a 6011 on mostly everything. I want to try a 6010, but don't want to be stuck with them if the machine won't run them.

California

Good Post Points
The difference between inverter and a 63 Wards is the new is DC. Really uses "professional" rods for out of position work on equipment, piping etc.
And another question, if you have the patience:

I'm doing decent amateur work with flux-core in my modified HF Mig-180. But I have no idea if it will throttle down to weld thin material. I've found it hard to keep the arc lit when I've tried this.

The other welder - Grizzly - that I got at the same time is rated 130 A stick / 160 tig.

I doubt I'll ever go to gas for either welder, I'm simple. Would this Grizzly with tiny rods do better work on thin material compared to .030 flux core in the wire welder? What rods should I buy?

Last edited:

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
6011 is the sheet rod. For a couple of reasons. While 6013 is talked about real sheet guys use 11 as it freezes fast and is the lowest current. 13 takes a lot of power. It penetrates a little less but uses higher current and freezes slow. But ,,, ,,, if you are doing sheet it's worth getting gas, wire cost less.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
The difference between 10 and 11 is minor. The biggest reason for the part time to use 10 as they can take some from work. Used to be an old joke, buy ac and buy rods, spend another 100 on DC and never got to buy rod again

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
I use 11. I have a Maxstar, I like them for restrike, the nature of the work makes the difference irrelevant and 11 has very good mechanical properties.
I believe they do list it for some pipe . Just had 50# in good shape given to me, will last me to the end. 10# go a long way these days.