Small welders.

mattk8895

Good Post Points
Hey guys, so I do repair work on the side. Mostly for local farmers, lately I've been doing alot of welding. I run a 5k generator and I use my 180a inverter mig (using Flux core as I'm always outside)

I've been looking at small, dual voltage inverter stick welders. Would a 160a stick welder perform as good as a 180a mig can? It needs to be light and portable, and I have only 20a or 240V to work with.

I'm often dealing with old rusted out metal, more often than not in places the grinder can't reach. I file what I can, but I really think 6011 would be better than my Flux wire.

Thoughts?
View attachment 1617

A-one

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln Pro Mig 180
I'm just a hobbyist, but I think the 6011 makes a better weld. Much more penetration but slower. 6011 has a Charpy rating. It'll deal with the dirt, rust, and paint better than fluxcore. Prep what you can and burn the rest out.

dee_veloper

Good Post Points
Welder
Longevity
Would a 160a stick welder perform as good as a 180a mig can

Depends on the voltage of the two units. For example:
--if the MIG is using 20V @ 180A =3600 W
--if the stick uses 20V @ 160A = 3200W

Close, but stick has less welding power in this example. You'll need to compare the actual voltages for the specific units. Since you're using 20A@240V you have 4800W available.

But, IMHO, stick welders always get better penetration. 6011 is very good for poor metals. Produces a crappy looking weld and slag can be a bear to remove. May require a cap weld with something like 7014 to get it looking decent.

Sberry

Good Post Points
Welder
Several
Its a rare day I move a mig for field work, the 160 inverter is the best thing they ever invented for that. 1/8 6011, 3/32 7018 and 1/8 7018 if you have 240V

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I like the little 115v/230v tig stick inverters. If you can find one with power factor correction (PFC) you can un a good 10ga extension cord 50' on 115v 20amp and not lose a lot of output. plus you can do cast, stainless and aluminum at any time with it.