Welded up a test with my Titanium 125 FCAW machine

Yomax4

Good Post Points
If you have a welder with PFC or Power Factor Correction you can run pretty good on extension cords and Generators with no real breaker issues ( 115v ). Ground faults are a different story. Most lower cost units don't offer PFC but are pretty capable on a 20a circuit. The gassless wire comes in 2 usual varieties. E71TGS and E71T-11. TGS is the low cost less desirable wire and it really varies in quality. A lot of it comes from china and by the time it gets here ( 120 days ) It's no longer very good. T-11 is much better but a little more cost. ( NR211 ) Has better flux and better moisture resistance. If ever an option always go with the 71T-11. It's on the label but even it will suffer from 4 months at sea. Good Luck.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I did finally find some Lincoln NR211 and it was cheaper $13.99 for 2# vs $19.99 at HF)than the Vulcan wire, same as the Inweld at my local welding supply. Some places really try to gouge folks on wire. I saw an Amazon add for FCAW wire for $30. I clicked on it thinking it must be a large spool, but no it was 2 #. I do wonder if they ever sell any of it.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I have to go to the post office and pick up a couple of packages this morning. One of them is my new welding helmet. Anxious to see how well it works and if there is any real difference in clarity from the HF hoods. Claim is 1/1/1/1 clarity (what ever that means) and Tru-color LED.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
No welding today. One of the packages was my new hood but the other one was 4 more LED lights for my shop. SO, Today was LED light installation. I got 5 of the 6 lights installed. I think I will wait on the other one to see which one of my fluorescents lights goes out first then replace that with the last one. I have 4 more 8 foot long 3 bulb lights in my shop that I will eventually replace. Those 4 are rarely turned on since that are in the bay where I park my truck. I have my boat shed and my welding / mechanic area lite up like the sun now. Each bulb is 10,000 lumens- two where I weld etc in a 15x30 foot space.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
I did finally find some Lincoln NR211 and it was cheaper $13.99 for 2# vs $19.99 at HF)than the Vulcan wire, same as the Inweld at my local welding supply. Some places really try to gouge folks on wire. I saw an Amazon add for FCAW wire for $30. I clicked on it thinking it must be a large spool, but no it was 2 #. I do wonder if they ever sell any of it.
I am Shocked at the cost for a 2# spool of flux core. WTH?

Dirt Guy

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 211, miller 135, Eastwood tig 200, Lincoln Weldenpower Engine driven Arc Welder,
Gary, You will like LED Lighting in your shop. Changed mine out in the shop three years ago, made a world of difference. Also saves on the power bill.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Gary, You will like LED Lighting in your shop. Changed mine out in the shop three years ago, made a world of difference. Also saves on the power bill.
I already have it in my house for 10 years. Built my shop a year before my house and got some bargain fluorescent lights (8 foot x 3 bulbs ) for $25 each so that is what went in the shop.
I like the 6000 K LED but my neighbor gave me a box of 5000K Cree lights so I have some of those replacing some of my worn out LEDs in the house.. Contrary to statements, they get dim after about 15K hours. They might continue to light to 30000 hours but the powersource gets weak. At least that is what I am finding from the Lowes bulbs and they were $30 each when I put them in.

California

Good Post Points
I keep forgetting how good these Titanium 125 fc welders weld... .030 NR211-MP on 1/8"... and great for getting into tight places!View attachment 1145
What are the thicknesses of material suitable for flux core .030, and for .035?

Some 2 lb spools of .035 FC were included with the HF MIG-180 I bought used. Hobart, Blue Demon, and Chicago Electric (that likely came with the welder). And two of .030 FC with no trademark, that I'm not impressed with.

I'm still playing with the mig and haven't found what seem like the right settings, so I still use stick for anything that will be in practical use.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
What are the thicknesses of material suitable for flux core .030, and for .035?

Some 2 lb spools of .035 FC were included with the HF MIG-180 I bought used. Hobart, Blue Demon, and Chicago Electric (that likely came with the welder). And two of .030 FC with no trademark, that I'm not impressed with.

I'm still playing with the mig and haven't found what seem like the right settings, so I still use stick for anything that will be in practical use.
I'm sure they overlap a bit in what material thickness can/should be used for each. I haven't used .035 flux core wire yet. I have used .030 on as thick as 5/16 in a T joint configuration with pretty good results. .035 would've been quicker and possibly had better results. A general rule of thumb I use is .030 up to 3/16" and .035 from 3/16" and thicker (mainly from using my mig/c25 setup). Bead size is different, with the .035 wider. Give both a try on some scrap 3/16" material and see what you prefer...

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Some of the welding with the Titanium 125 Flux core welder. Top photo right side was vertical up over paint on one side and welding to galvanized metal on the other. Flat weld was one pass filling in a 1/4" gap. The left weld that is partially ground off was filling a big gap. I had to cut out the original weld and square up the fit due to extremely out of square after welding. It had at least a 1/4" gap up that side and on top. I also couldnt get all the slag out from cutting with the plasma torch. My little faux pas for today. You can still see the edge of the weld which is not much wider than the gap I was welding up
The next one was one pass with the paint buffed off but still welding to galvanized on one side. The rest are same thing

IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0089.JPGIMG_0092.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0089.JPG