Welding Galvanized metal

sampathkp

Good Post Points
Welder
VULCAN
Hello,
If I weld the galvanized pipes/metals..i see corrosion within a year at the welded joints. Do we get any electrode wich doesn't corrode after welding ?
thanks
sampath

cwby

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller/Everlast
309L - a stainless rod, but not the best for welding mild steel to mild steel. Typically we coat the new weld with a zinc rich coating. ZRC is a good product but pricey.

flyerdan

Good Post Points
For small projects or just an occasional use here and there, get a can of spray galv from the welding store. When I was building chain link gate frames, we'd use some kind of aluminized roofing compound cut with paint thinner. Came in a 5 gallon bucket, and needed stirred and thinned properly, but was way cheaper overall for the quantity we were doing.

dstig1

Good Post Points
Yes, the cold galvanizing products noted are what you should do after the weld has cooled to ambient temp. I would continue to use regular steel electrodes/wire, depending on which welding process you are using. Also it pays to grind back the galvanizing both so it doesn't contaminate the weld and so you make less zinc fumes as they will make you sick. A respirator is still advised when welding galvy, especially if it is not out in the open air, but even then it is wise to wear one.

axeman79

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller Multimatic 215
Hello,
If I weld the galvanized pipes/metals..i see corrosion within a year at the welded joints. Do we get any electrode wich doesn't corrode after welding ?
thanks
sampath
You will need a respirator. Welding galvanized steel will produce zinc oxide gas and it is very dangerous.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
I do occasionally weld galvanized material BUT always and only outdoors (with me upwind).
BUT you need to grind as far back as you'd expect your weld to penetrate or you'll see some funny colored flashes.
And. yes there will be corrosion unless you spray protection over your welds.