welding rusted steel on Jeep chassis

pocojo

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC
I am an average welder but trying to weld the rusted steel on my Jeep frame is the most difficult weld project I ever had. With my limited knowledge after first cleaning the rust area completely, i use a 6010 rod to fix the new steel to the rusted area and then finish it off with a 7018 rod. Mating new steel to rusted steel is a big challenge and was hoping someone can give me some tips to make this job easier. I am extremely happy to see a forum like this. Thank you all for reading.

Pocojo

Starman

Good Post Points
Welder
AC, Mig both Lincoln
I am glad you worked to completely clean the rusted steel. Iron Oxide (rust) is no friend of your welds. 7018 is a harder tensile strength alloy than the 6010 you started w and a lower penetration rod. Because of it's hardness it is more inclined to be less flexible and more prone to cracking at the weld edge. Vehicle frames flex a lot. 7018 is also much less tolerant of impurities in the weld zone. You may be best served to complete the project w the 6010

• Good Post
Reactions: MC

kayco53

Good Post Points
Welder
systematics
For rust it is hard to beat 6010. But the rod digs more is harder to use on thin stuff. Try using it in 3/32 size.
myself like the 7018 as a cap. It is still more flexible than mig. Body shop would use mig so because it is easy on thin stuff and would work fine. But it needs to be clean on both sides of the weld.