What size generator to run stick welder?

wazrus

Good Post Points
Welder
Arc GMAW, spot, oxy, propane, silver solder
I'm in at the deep end here, I think, but there seem to be a lot of technicality here, which i wonder about. Stick welders, as very likely other types - are best considered by the amperage available and most, if not all, have this clearly shown on their control panels. I do have a generator/welder setup and its 'type' (other than it's a stick welder) has never been really relevant: what matters is how many amps it'll pump out. Mine has 200A max and it is driven by a Kubota 13HP petrol engine and is most capable. It's on a frame which I can pick up with my tractor jib on the linkage. I've run 4mm (.157") rods and welds have been most satisfactory and in fact 200A was a bit of overkill. Some of the work was on a bobcat bucket, other work on excavator bucket edges, to name just a few jobs. Those needed heavy overlaid beads. I've seen a few words about light channel and angle steel and personally, i wouldn't go far beyond 140A, with 3.2mm (1/8") rods and then, I'd be watching very carefully so as not to burn too many holes! And I've noticed some discussion about welding gal sections and with, say, a bandsaw cut and enough amps, the arc will burn the gal off. Just keep your head out of the fumes.
Wazrus

California

Good Post Points
I see several comments begin with 'look at the rating plate for the maximum the welder can draw'. But - I think that number is relevant only if you need the maximum output the welder is capable of. Not so relevant, if what you need is 120~140 amps @ 240v to run 1/8" 6010 and never expect to go bigger than that for remote work, say fence repair. While larger projects would be done back in the shop. 140a x 240v = 33,600 watts so that plus a good margin for surge should work ok. So maybe a 5kw generator is sufficient to run 1/8" 6010 or 6013 in the field?

Handyhusband01

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller 250HF, Vulcan Omnipro 220
Inverter Gen or not? I like the idea of going big and also using it for powering the house if needed. I have the Vulcan Omnipro, dual voltage, welder and my concern is protecting its computer boards. Standard gen set output is not as stable probably not suitable. Looking for other's experiences.

jjef

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 210, lx 235, Lincoln 140c
From previous experience, don't remember size of welder or generator (probably undersized) but I do remember having to shut off the auto idle feature in order for it to work.

aircommuter

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln, Esab, Linde
One thing is if the welder is equipped with PFC. power factor correction. Basically a couple capacitors that compensate for the inrush current that takes place when you strike the arc or get a little too close as you are welding. In the old days (60s) power companies would charge extra if you didn’t have that on your welder because the meter couldn’t sense that current quickly enough. But a generator will sense it.