Drill Presses

Oliver 1555

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln 225 AC stick, Lincoln 140 MIG, Lincoln 256 MIG, Lincoln Squarewave 200 TIG
The speed on most newer drill presses is too high for bits over 1/2”. My Delta 12 speed turns from 3000 - 250 RPMs. I recently put a reduction kit on it that reduced speed by 75%. Now, top speed is 750 RPMs, which is plenty for small bits, and 62.5 RPMs, which is perfect for larger bits. Too much speed is a killer for larger bits.

CADplans

Good Post Points
I got this gear head drill press in 2001,, it was a best buy, I use it all the time,,

jB5QAU6.jpg

It has power down feed, so, I can drill a 1 inch (or even larger) hands free,,
just start the down feed, and wait for the drill to come through the other side,,

mZavin6.jpg

The power feed really makes the edge on the drill bits last a LONG time,,
It will drill hundreds of holes like shown in the pic, and the drill bit will still be sharp,,

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
Something I recently did by accident was to have a decent magnet clipped to the side of my drill press.
I basically was storing it there.
It captured a great deal of chips thus making clean up much easier so I now permantly have one parked off to one side.

Lis2323

Good Post Points
Something I recently did by accident was to have a decent magnet clipped to the side of my drill press.
I basically was storing it there.
It captured a great deal of chips thus making clean up much easier so I now permantly have one parked off to one side.

I do the same with a magnetic wand.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
While this isn’t a drill press I use, I thought some of you might find it interesting, due to it being home built at time when they may not have been available or affordable for the average guy to buy.
vvcap 2020-05-24-20-33-36.jpg vvcap 2020-05-24-20-34-13.jpg vvcap 2020-05-24-20-34-48.jpg vvcap 2020-05-24-20-54-55.jpg

It was built by my great grandfather who was a carpenter/plumber by trade after a short stint in Hollywood, went there to be a musician in the late teens, and ended up a bit actor/set carpenter. The motor dates between 1920-'24, so I am guessing he put it together sometime in the late 1920’s or in the 1930’s. It has about 1.5" stroke with a spring return, and an adjustable base.

• Good Post
Reactions: DAC

Root weld

Good Post Points
Welder
Lincoln of course
I got rid of my two older droll presses and broke down and purchased a nice 12” with an easy to adjust table. The ease of use compared to my beat up older presses is well worth the cost.View attachment 774
My 12" wen is on its way. I have an old atlas must be a 10 or 12 inch that when geared all the way down is way to fast for long bit life in metal.
The WEN has good reviews, hope it does as advertised.

bumper

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller TIG & MIG, Hypotherm plasma cutter
Funny thing about drill presses and auctions.
At just about any auction that I have attended I notice that DP's just about always sell higher than normal retail, especially when you include auctioneer's fees and all the taxes.
Called auction fever.
Haven't been to too many auctions, but stopped for fuel at Lincoln, CA and they had one of them going on at a large hangar. Lots of aircraft parts and specialty tools. Recognized a set of Mooney gear rigging tools and got them for a tenth of what they'd cost. Anything that was readily identifiable as a tool with a recognizable purpose, was bid up passed retail. Just nuts!

dragoneggs

Good Post Points
A bit embarrassed here... just splurged on a 'Cadillac'. I recently sold my old floor standing 30+ year old underpowered Craftsman drill press and bought me a Nova Voyager! Direct drive... no more fussing with belts and worrying about power. Just built an easily removable storage cabinet that slides on the base T tracks and now adding a precision table (Woodpeckers) with some mods to make it fit and function better. I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

Lis2323

Good Post Points
A bit embarrassed here... just splurged on a 'Cadillac'. I recently sold my old floor standing 30+ year old underpowered Craftsman drill press and bought me a Nova Voyager! Direct drive... no more fussing with belts and worrying about power. Just built an easily removable storage cabinet that slides on the base T tracks and now adding a precision table (Woodpeckers) with some mods to make it fit and function better. I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

YES please.

dragoneggs

Good Post Points
Still working on the drill press table but started with building a base cabinet, had to design to fit not only the tracks but also the mobile base.

IMG_1359 2.jpeg

Tee tracks are made from hardwood... nice and snug but will slide off fairly easy if I need to drop the table extra low.

IMG_3107.jpeg

Two full extension doors and a non slip liner on top for misc small bits, chucks, keys, etc. while working. Everything still clean for now.

IMG_5940.jpeg

and a space below for a sustainer...

IMG_6625.jpeg

welding seabee

Good Post Points
Still working on the drill press table but started with building a base cabinet, had to design to fit not only the tracks but also the mobile base.

View attachment 936

Tee tracks are made from hardwood... nice and snug but will slide off fairly easy if I need to drop the table extra low.

View attachment 937

Two full extension doors and a non slip liner on top for misc small bits, chucks, keys, etc. while working. Everything still clean for now.

View attachment 938

and a space below for a sustainer...

View attachment 939
Nice wood work Mark. Way beyond my capability. Wonder what it is going to look like after many drilling sessions in steel and getting cutting oil all over it. I used a steel HF power tool base with a plywood insert in the top. The plywood is now saturated with oil and metal chips in every crevice. I keep a magnet handy. Maybe this DP of yours will only be used for wood work though, then no problem.

Ron

Good Post Points
I use these restaurant-size baking sheets under the machines that generate a lot of crud. They help a lot to keep things clean.bakingsheet.jpg

Lis2323

Good Post Points
Mostly small precision work. Quite popular with model makers and hobbyists.

dragoneggs

Good Post Points
Nice wood work Mark. Way beyond my capability. Wonder what it is going to look like after many drilling sessions in steel and getting cutting oil all over it. I used a steel HF power tool base with a plywood insert in the top. The plywood is now saturated with oil and metal chips in every crevice. I keep a magnet handy. Maybe this DP of yours will only be used for wood work though, then no problem.

Ron
This is why I made it quickly removable to convert from woodworking to metalworking. I just finished (well almost) a quick removable woodworking table as well. Since I killed the idea of a dedicated metal and woodworking shop in new out building, I am trying to make do with metal and wood occupying the same space. I do more wood than metal. Here is the table... but being this is a welding forum... the full story on this construction is over on TBN - Today's Shop Time.

IMG_7816.jpeg