What are you doing today?

California

Good Post Points
I'm here! Just don't have welding issues to discuss today.

At the moment I'm stuck inside waiting for Instacart grocery delivery.

CA_Bgrwldr

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobarts
I wish property clean-up was just for winter around here, between seasonal oak, live oak, redwood, and pine trees, yard clean-up is year round. I think so far this year, I have raked and hauled about 20 cubic yards worth to where I process it all into mulch with the endless supply of manure from my hay burners..

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Is everyone doing yard clean up prepping for winter like we are up here?
Winter will be along in a couple months but right now it's 80 F here but the trees know winter is coming. Leaves are falling big time even though they have not gotten any fall colors yet. They are just turning brown and falling off, likely because all year it has rained at least once a week but now it has been a few weeks since we had any thing more than a heavy due. Even the remains of the last hurricane only produced a light shower that barely settled the dust.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
We got about 5” of snow yesterday, but it should melt off with weather in the 40’s and 50’s next week. Certainly not ready for a full winter yet

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Is everyone doing yard clean up prepping for winter like we are up here?
Putting up wood, Prepping plow truck ( on property only truck ) and yes yard lockdown in prep for the 1st Blizzard and -25 day.

poncho62

Good Post Points
I check in here most days. Things should pick up a little with members doing winter projects in their heated shops, something I don't have.......o_O

Doing leaves and getting tractors ready for winter plowing.

MC

Administrator
Staff member
Good Post Points
It takes time to build an active forum. Oh and the occasional promotion or contest.

California

Good Post Points
Guys lets drop this particular thread title. A new thread 'Look what I'm doing today' or something, would be better. It doesn't have to be welding.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I check in here most days. Things should pick up a little with members doing winter projects in their heated shops, something I don't have.......o_O

Doing leaves and getting tractors ready for

Doing leaves and getting tractors ready for winter plowing.

I need to grade off 1,400 feet of driveway before winter stays. A little snow covering everything now, but a week in the 40’s and 50’s will clear it off next week. Last finishing touch on the road, then install the front snow blower and rear blade.

PILOON

Good Post Points
Welder
Hobart 200 stick
First day of that white paint for us.(tempted to use an other word that also started with S)
Tractor is all rigged up for snow duties C/W its overhauled blower.
OK, I did some weld repairs (2 impellor blades needed to be straightened and a few welds)
While I was at it I replaced all the bearings so good for another 8 years or so.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
Working on modifying a luggage rack on a 4 wheeler for my friend. We got it all mounting points modified and welded up, got to go back to the shop and bolt it back on (had to remove it to make the welds and put on a primer coat. Still need to build a removable/hinged section above the tool carrier but my friend wants to wait till he gets some scrap from Miss. that is the same size tubing to build it from. Still need to buff off the rust and repaint it also after all the welding is complete. Cold misty rain falling so nothing else to be done today.

bplayer405

Good Post Points
I have plenty going on with work, family and hunting at the moment. One buck quartered and in the fridge and another buck hanging in the garage chillin' waiting to be quartered. Should be around 100lbs of meat to process soon. Still have a few tags for does also...

I did pick up a new project that will require some welding, an older Club Car 36 volt golf cart. It's in pretty good shape and I plan on converting it into a hunting vehicle. Thing is straight off the golf course, but sat for a couple years and needs a lot of maintenance and upgrades. After getting the batteries up to snuff, I'll probably strip off the golf accessories, camo the white body, add some lift and atv tires, then build some decking and a rack for the back to carry crossbows, bows or guns and packs to and from the stand. I'll be adding a hitch setup also for towing a small trailer. Should be a fun and useful project. It'll be used on a thousand acre lease that's fairly flat and should be a game changer for getting around quietly.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
With a proper lift kit and bar lug tires that cart will be unstoppable. I have seen videos of that same cart going in some spectacular places. I also thing there is a kit to make them into 4WD.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I spent the day getting fuel prepped, stabilizer and seafoam in the ethanol free stuff. Fired and ran everything, 2 mowers, edger, chain saw, two generators and the side by side. Then mixed stanadyne and cetain boost in the diesel and filled up everything. Spent a couple weeks last month adding a 48’ lean to on the side of the shop, so there’s lots of covered space for all the yard equipment.

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I spent the day getting fuel prepped, stabilizer and seafoam in the ethanol free stuff. Fired and ran everything, 2 mowers, edger, chain saw, two generators and the side by side. Then mixed stanadyne and cetain boost in the diesel and filled up everything. Spent a couple weeks last month adding a 48’ lean to on the side of the shop, so there’s lots of covered space for all the yard equipment.
Man, you are a real eager beaver. I put the standard double dose of Stabil Marine in my lawnmower tanks and the one 5 gallon can of gas I keep on hand during the winter. I still need to take the tank from my boat and transfer it to a vehicle for use and do my chainsaw. I did winterize my pressure washers by blowing all the water from the hoses and the pumps, just pulled the starter rope several times till no more water came out. I just have a little bit of work to do on one lawnmower that has a seized idler pulley (waiting on the pulley and new belt to come in) then replace the belt but I will have some help on that chore.

As usual when I give something away, I end up putting a bit of money into it before I give it away. Well I didnt exactly give it away, I swapped it for 2 complete TIG torches with flowmeters and hoses, some tungsten, various cups and collet bodies and collets. I also got the use of a Dewalt die grinder and a 4x6 steel fabrication table and lots of scrap steel that likely wont ever leave my shop since my friend doesnt have a shop to put anything in.

Bearskinner

Good Post Points
Welder
Miller
I’ll throw a tarp over all the yard equipment, for the rest of the winter, and I feel good about the way there stored. I will drive the SxS around during the winter, but not as much as summertime

Gary Fowler

Good Post Points
I spent most of the day cleaning up the shop. My aluminum top on my work table has gotten a lot of paint, grease and other gunk on it so I spent about an hour buffing and grinding out all the impurities on it. Then I decided to refurbish my Craftsman 4" vise. I took it all apart, buffed off about 3 coats of paint and then put on a primer and it was time for lunch. After lunch I put on a top coat of "Pumpkin Spice gloss orange" which was the only color I had other than black white, gray, brown, pink or silver. I will remount it tomorrow (got to have something to do then).
I also spent some time rearranging my floor plan. I moved my small table toward the back (rather than side to side with the larger table)to make more room for the big steel table my friend brought over from Mississippi when he moved. Relocated my tool boxes from the side at the front further toward the back more beside the small table. I am relegating the aluminum top table to rebuilding of mechanical stuff, and for use with my Titanium 125 for small projects and the front all steel will be strictly for welding with the Miller stick/TIG and the Vulcan multi-process machine. I also relocated my Miller a bit over into the bay I park my truck in so I can now locate my Vulcan machine right beside it so all the heavy duty machines are side by side. Last week I move my Goldwing back to the boat shed so it stay a bit cleaner and is out of the way. I did have to move one of my lawnmower out under the lean too shed. I have rearranged everything since I sold my LS and freed up a bay. I moved the Kubota B26 under the shed to replace the LS and then was able to put my 20 foot carhauler under a shed for the first time in 10 years. That should make the wooden deck last much longer (I had to replace some boards last year).
So all and all, I now have a much tighter area around the trailer but still accessible to remove the scrap that is shelved beside it and the shop floor is much easier to move about in now. By relocating the tool boxes, I was able to turn the table 90 degrees so it now sits across the length rather than lengthwise which allows room to pull in my lawnmowers, 4 wheeler etc for maintenance or repair without moving tables around.
It has been raining for the last 2 days so that was a good project to get done. Also the 85F days seem to be gone for the year. It topped out a 48F yesterday, a bit warmer today at 54F for the high. It sure seems a lot colder than that after have those hot days for a week.

Yomax4

Good Post Points
Put the boat away ( ran a tube of grease through each hub with Milwaukee 18v gun. Drained and filled lower unit, Backed in in and hooked up battery tender. We have snow on the ground here. Next it was an attempt to replace the starter in my F250 V10 plow truck. I'm nearly convinced that it can't be done. I'll need to get more creative tomorrow or pay someone with a hoist. Bow hunted the evening. Deer are on the move !!